Oldest chicken?

Seriously, sex links only live for a year?!? I have a red one, Rosie, who is my favorite. She’s the smartest and sweetest bird, I would hate for that to be here fate.
I don’t care about egg production, I have always wanted to have a small flock of pet chickens. They will all live out their natural (hopefully long) life on our farm.
Oh, no, there are plenty that live longer, but in general they are much more prone to dropping dead from repro disorders. I lost 2/5 RSL hens last summer at one year of age to egg issues, and exactly zero other breeds to egg issues.

I don't like them much but some love them. :idunno

If I were slaughtering them before first moult they'd definitely be economically viable. The issue for me was that their eggs after 1 year were MASSIVE and wouldn't fit in the cartons. Plus they have high incidences of blood spots in the eggs. I sold them while they were still laying well just because I didn't like them. :oops:

Large eggs shouldn't be an issue since you just want pets. I hope she lives a long life!

View attachment 1233974 This picture is of my Ducky last summer. She is 6 years old, and lays a wonky egg about once a month. She is the first chicken I ever owned, and like a little lapdog! I love her to pieces!!

I have a chicken named Ducky too! Where did the name come from for you? Mine looked exactly like a duckling when she was a chick so we started affectionately calling her Ducky and it stuck!

Oh, no, there are plenty that live longer, but in general they are much more prone to dropping dead from repro disorders. I lost 2/5 RSL hens last summer at one year of age to egg issues, and exactly zero other breeds to egg issues.

I don't like them much but some love them. :idunno

If I were slaughtering them before first moult they'd definitely be economically viable. The issue for me was that their eggs after 1 year were MASSIVE and wouldn't fit in the cartons. Plus they have high incidences of blood spots in the eggs. I sold them while they were still laying well just because I didn't like them. :oops:

Large eggs shouldn't be an issue since you just want pets. I hope she lives a long life!
Ok whew! I know things can happen at any time, but glad to know it’s not necessarily an early death sentence. She’s getting extra blueberries today tho, lol.

In the process of planning for possible additions to my flock (they are currently 9 months old), I was looking up info on chicken lifespan. According to the internet, the average lifespan of backyard chickens is 8-10 years. Barring unforeseen circumstances, like disease, or predators, or culling, does this sound right? And what’s the oldest hen or rooster you have ever had??
Just curious.

This is Peep. Now 10 1/2 years young! And she laid several eggs last summer.

DSCN0837.JPG

I also have 3 9 year old chickens.

I think you are setting yourself up for failure. Some have a few birds that live a long time, but a lot of birds die much sooner than that. If you do get a long lived bird, good for you, but I would not go into this expecting them to live that long. 4.5 is as old of bird I have had.

I think you are setting yourself up for failure. Some have a few birds that live a long time, but a lot of birds die much sooner than that. If you do get a long lived bird, good for you, but I would not go into this expecting them to live that long. 4.5 is as old of bird I have had.
Curious, why do they die?

Back
Top Bottom