Olive Egger Chicks - gender?

heidibee

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
These Olive Eggers are 4 weeks. They started to show color on the waddles last week. What do you think so far? I have a collage from week 1 through week 4, and a close up head shot of each. They supposedly had a Cream Legbar mom and a Black Copper Marans dad, which from what I read means they should have been able to be sexed at hatch, but I didn't see them until they were already a week old. Not sure what I think.

Olive Egger #1:
OE1 week 4.jpg

OE1.jpg

Olive Egger #2:
OE2 week 4(2).jpg

OE2.jpg

Olive Egger #3:
OE3 week 4(1).jpg
OE3.jpg

These Olive Eggers are 4 weeks. They started to show color on the waddles last week. What do you think so far? I have a collage from week 1 through week 4, and a close up head shot of each. They supposedly had a Cream Legbar mom and a Black Copper Marans dad, which from what I read means they should have been able to be sexed at hatch, but I didn't see them until they were already a week old. Not sure what I think.

Olive Egger #1:
View attachment 1311199
View attachment 1311191

Olive Egger #2:
View attachment 1311196
View attachment 1311192

Olive Egger #3:
View attachment 1311194View attachment 1311193

I agree with the above comment, I'm quite certain #3 is a cockerel. #2 & 3 both have straight combs, with #1 having a pea comb (blue egg gene carrier). The first one seems to be developing pink in the comb, which may indicate a cockerel as well at this age. It will become more apparent in the next couple weeks. #2 doesn't seem to have any red coloration as of yet, so fingers crossed if you're hoping for a hen! Keep an eye out for reddening in the comb and little wattles developing.

Do you still have the contact information of the seller? I don't know the auto sexing genetics very well but if they are indeed auto sexable at hatch and you end up with all males I would be a bit unhappy :oops: or they could have just not known.

Do you still have the contact information of the seller? I don't know the auto sexing genetics very well but if they are indeed auto sexable at hatch and you end up with all males I would be a bit unhappy :oops: or they could have just not known.

I do. He is breeding a lot of breeds out of his garage, so it seems more like a casual hobby breeder than a legit serious one. Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm nonconfrontational so I probably won't say anything. I have friends willing to take any roosters and they'd get to live with lots of ladies on several acres.

I do. He is breeding a lot of breeds out of his garage, so it seems more like a casual hobby breeder than a legit serious one. Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm nonconfrontational so I probably won't say anything. I have friends willing to take any roosters and they'd get to live with lots of ladies on several acres.
Wow, your cockerels are certainly the lucky ones. I wish they all could find nice homes like that. I think 3 is likely a cockerel but I wouldn't write off 1 just yet, much less 2.

Back
Top Bottom