Olive egger with blue earlobes

crazy chkn lady

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Florida
I just accuired a couple of chickens last week that are about 13 weeks old. I was told that they are olive eggers but I don’t know much else about them or their parents. I have noticed that one of them has very pretty blue earlobes. Do y’all think her eggs will be blue?

Last edited:
616F363C-095B-4798-8698-B4BCD2DAD319.jpeg

Wouldn’t that be neat? Unfortunately I’m guessing they won’t be blue. The blue ears usually mean that the bird is part silkie as well as the crest. A pea comb is a highly likely indicator of a chicken laying colored eggs, from this image I think she has a straight comb.
Edit: I didn’t realize you said she’s an olive egger! If that’s her breed she should lay green eggs, but she could also be part silkie because any color “egger” could be a mixed breed!

Last edited:
I have noticed that one of them has very pretty blue earlobes. Do y’all think her eggs will be blue?
I agree it's more indicative of something similar to Silkie heritage.. which lay cream colored eggs.

Straight comb birds lay blue eggs also.. as is the case of Cream Legbars.. which have those nice little crests.. like seen on your bird. Cream legbars have white lobes.

The blue lobes in my experience may be related to the dark pigmented skin with white lobes making blue instead of red lobes which would then just appear as black..

Straight comb being recessive means it got no copies for other comb types.. I have seen poorly bred Silkie sporting straight combs.. but I might guess other possibilities ayam cemani or svart hona.. if that is indeed melanistic skin I'm seeing or according to my reasoning.

Olive eggers is a term for hybrid essentially.. anything brown ish egg laying cross blue egger.. no guarantees of egg color.. only guesses and estimates at best.. sometimes making khaki or grey, etc..

Still look like cute fun birds! :love

Back
Top Bottom