Olive Eggers laying browns

Aug 9, 2023
Hi all!
I would like someone to dumb down olive Egger genetics to me and help me understand my current situation.
I purchased olive egger chicks this spring and have been soooo eagerly awaiting my green eggs. My understanding when I purchased was that they are f2 - as they’re offspring of two olive egger parents. I’ve looked at pictures and charts and my understanding is there is a 25% chance of getting a brown egg.
Of my 5 pullets, everyone is laying a brown egg. My question is - did I just get incredibly unlucky or was I played?

Hi all!
I would like someone to dumb down olive Egger genetics to me and help me understand my current situation.
I purchased olive egger chicks this spring and have been soooo eagerly awaiting my green eggs. My understanding when I purchased was that they are f2 - as they’re offspring of two olive egger parents. I’ve looked at pictures and charts and my understanding is there is a 25% chance of getting a brown egg.
Of my 5 pullets, everyone is laying a brown egg. My question is - did I just get incredibly unlucky or was I played?
Where did you get them from?

I'd assume unlucky with some faulty genetics by the supplier. Unlikely that whomever sold them to you is able to successfully turn a profit selling a stock of Olive eggers that only lay brown eggs. It would only take a season for said person to completely go out of business.

Now that said, if this was a craiglister with no significant experience maintaining multigenerational Coop-holds (like households, see what i did there?) then it is certainly possible they just have no idea what their doing and all of their F2 chicks are really just backbreeding to a brown egg layer, which I'd say is most likely if your source is someone doing this as a "fun hobby"

Either way, never met a backyard brown egg that didn't taste just as good! Good luck!

You also have to remember that males get egg color genetics too. So it's entirely possible that in this case, they have a bunch of males that would have laid olive eggs.

Plus just like everything else, the ratio rarely will be correct every time. Next hatch could easily be the opposite amd no brown layers hatch

Back
Top Bottom