Should I get this Olive egger pullet?

Cheeky Eggers

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2023
I've always wanted a Olive egger for awhile ever since I got into chickens, I searched around for a Olive egger and found someone in my area that is selling an F2 Olive egger pullet, So she is a backcross Crele Penedescenda/Cream Legbar. She seems like a interesting cross, But its a 50/50 that she will either lay a Olive egg or brown eggs. What do you guys think?
373004544_1374699439793953_5659623040041541170_n.jpg
373036043_9884341671639172_8780364087363432218_n.jpg

So, there isn't a way to tell what color they'll lay since the genetics vary, but if the bird is healthy, why not try it out? If you don't have a lot of room for more chickens, maybe wait and get a cross with a higher chance of olive. You will get eggs out of it either way.

How could you say "NO" to that face! I'd take her in a heartbeat, looks healthy but of course due your due diligence before moving into your flock, might be hard introducing just 1 new bird. How many chickens do you have now?

Although she is cute like many pullets, you will not know if she is truly an Olive Egger or just a normal light brown laying hybrid.

I don't know what they ask for an Olive egger hybrid in you region, but if is more than for a normal hybrid layer, I would not buy her until she is a proven Olive Egger. And then buy two as trying to integrate a single bird often leads to severe bullying.

Although she is cute like many pullets, you will not know if she is truly an Olive Egger or just a normal light brown laying hybrid.

I don't know what they ask for an Olive egger hybrid in you region, but if is more than for a normal hybrid layer, I would not buy her until she is a proven Olive Egger. And then buy two as trying to integrate a single bird often leads to severe bullying.
Yeah, thats why I'm hesitant to buy her, So is it harder to integrate one bird to a flock?

So, there isn't a way to tell what color they'll lay since the genetics vary
There actually is a test for the blue egg gene:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If the pullet has the blue egg gene, she will lay some shade of blue, green, or olive. If she does not have the blue egg gene, she will lay some shade of brown.

I would only bother with the test if it was very important to me, but I can't say how important it is to OP to get a bird with the blue egg gene.

she is a backcross Crele Penedescenda/Cream Legbar.
If one parent is actually a Penedesenca, then she should lay fairly dark eggs (olive or brown, depending on whether she has the blue egg gene or not.)

If someone crossed two F1 Olive Eggers to produce her, so neither of her parents is a pure breed, then her egg color could be anywhere from light (blue or cream) to dark (olive or chocolate) or something in between.

How could you say "NO" to that face! I'd take her in a heartbeat, looks healthy but of course due your due diligence before moving into your flock, might be hard introducing just 1 new bird. How many chickens do you have now?
I know I love her looks! We have a quite a few greys and blacks in our flock, So it would be nice to add more color, I worry she would end up laying a brown egg though thats why im hesitant.

Back
Top Bottom