Olive is becoming emaciated. I want to stop impacted crop treatment.

We have been giving her small amounts of soft foods
If she is getting emaciated, as the title says, then she needs more food.

I might try offering free-choice chicken food (pellets or crumbles) and see how she does. If she is able to digest it without her crop clogging up again, then letting her eat as much as she wants will be the fastest cure for the emaciation.

I mention pellets or crumbles because they are made of already-ground-up bits. They get soft and fall apart when they get wet (like when the chicken drinks water), so they will hopefully be able to get digested without being stuck on the way.

Another suggestion. If she is eating sand perhaps change your coop substrate?

Deep dry litter wood shavings and cut straw, composting litter, or hemp would be good choices depending on what you have available.

If she is getting emaciated, as the title says, then she needs more food.

I might try offering free-choice chicken food (pellets or crumbles) and see how she does. If she is able to digest it without her crop clogging up again, then letting her eat as much as she wants will be the fastest cure for the emaciation.

I mention pellets or crumbles because they are made of already-ground-up bits. They get soft and fall apart when they get wet (like when the chicken drinks water), so they will hopefully be able to get digested without being stuck on the way.
Yes thanks. I re started the crumbles

Another suggestion. If she is eating sand perhaps change your coop substrate?

Deep dry litter wood shavings and cut straw, composting litter, or hemp would be good choices depending on what you have available.
Well, living in Florida although we do live in a wooded area, the soil can be anywhere from black dirt to gravel to sand. Only the top layer is black dirt the rest is gravel or sand. And they have free access when they’re ranging. So unfortunately, Sand is a way of life here, especially bringing it in the house every day!

Answering the bat signal. If you're pretty sure this was impacted crop, this individual should be fine now with no further treatment. But do make sure she's getting enough proper size grit, which should be up to one-eighth inch in diameter and have sharp, not rounded edges. Also, give probiotic tablets for the next few days to establish good microbes in her digestive system.

If the crop fills back up again during the night instead of emptying, then treat with miconazole twice a day for a full seven days.
OK I’ll get some miconazole and follow your directions. As far as grit in Florida are soil is anywhere from black dirt to sand to gravel to stones. so they have free access to all that. Thanks for the follow up. She’s such a sweet bird. I hope this does it.

Back
Top Bottom