OMG! 4 week old cockerel crowing???

newchickenfamily

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
SF Bay Area - Danville
This is my first experience with cockerels. I have a 4 week old cockerel that is CLEARLY making a silly attempt at crowing for the first time this morning!
gig.gif
Is this normal??

That's quite early...lol! I have 4-month-olds who are just starting to give it a go, but that's probably b/c they live with my bigger/older/dominant roo.

Hee hee! That must be a funny noise. I've never had one crow so early, but I did have a few "pullets" several years ago and one of them turned out to be a cockeral.

Questionable Pullet: arr *cough* raroooo *coughsputter* rr rr rr

Me: Um, honey I think one of our pullets might be a roo..

DH: Nah, she's just trying to find her cackle

Me: Ok then then we shall see but you know that I AM always right.

DH: uhyuh

3 days later while lying in bed on a Saturday morning

Urr urr URRRRRRRRR!

Me: *snicker* hee hee hee

DH: Don't even say it.

A few will even show their dominance as early as 1 week. I had a little splash that went home with MustBeCrazy that was doing his best to crow at 9 days.

I think I have one doing the same thing!! It is 3 weeks old and keeps stretching his neck up and opening it's mouth. No sounds just the stretch thing!! Could that be him trying to crow? I haven't seen any others do it, this is also the one that usually starts the "chest butting" game with the others!!
big_smile.png

gig.gif
Wow 9 days? Love the dialouge Chicky Tock!

OK, I guess my guy isn't that abnormal then. I have 2 that are the same age and I've known (or at least suspected) that they were boys for awhile. They were doing lots of chest bumping and flying at each others faces, but the crowing is hysterical! We are keeping them inside the house for now and my husband heard it first thing this morning.
lau.gif

Of my three, I had them start as early as 3 weeks and as late as 15 weeks and I agree their first attempts are usually quite comical. The one that started at 3 weeks has always sounded a bit wolfish though (more so when he was a few months old) and scared the bejeezus out of us when we moved him out of the brooder and into the coop which is closer to the house.

Back
Top Bottom