OMG!! ducklings STINK!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RockyToggRanch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've had far too many chicks and brooders inside all winter. The odor never got to be noticeable. I'm not a crazy, clean it everyday kinda person. I used wood pellets and it kept everything sweet [​IMG]

I have 2 Yes just 2...week old ducklings in with my 5 2 week old d'uccles. The smell has been sickening. The ducks are going into their own brooder tonight, but holy stench that's bad!

any pointers? Yes, I'll clean it more often, that's a given.

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow, I didn't think it would make a difference

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes, they have a 'special' kind of stink, don't they!??!

the best thing is cleaning up and the most space you can give them. good ventilation.

just keep thinking, "Pretty soon they can go outside!" [​IMG]

4. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    yep found that out too.... If they would drink some of the water instead of just play with it I doubt it would be bad. I have to clean there side of the brooder every other day.... They are in the garage....

But it got my husband to planning on building me a chicken house [​IMG] [​IMG] He don't want them in the garage anymore.

5. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    i always kept thing in a huge plastic tote with a light then would have pine in to help..also i put big rocks in the water so they can only drink it not slash it and make the mess bigger.Then about every other day i would..ok dont lol at my hilbillynesssss...

i would stick them in my bath tub with just about 1/2- inch of water while i took the tote out and sprayed it with the water hose.then start over.they are a mess but wait till to put them in the bathtub omg they are fun.

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    This is why I brooded my ducklings from day one outside in a fully insulated coop. [​IMG]

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:Yeah, it is pretty disgusting. They slosh the water around so they can swallow their food, and it gets everywhere and is really icky!

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We had a full grown duck blow in with a storm once and took up residents with my goat. Before he found his way back home he made the biggest mess in the goat pen and left a terrible smell. And he was only there for maybe 10 days.[​IMG]

9. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always said baby ducks smell like a mixture of raw meat and mud and mayonaise, gotta love it [​IMG]

baby ducks themselves smell absolutely adorable

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I am in complete agreement. I had my 83 + chicks in my laundry room and there was very little smell (comparitively I guess). I moved the chicks to a different building/brooder this monday and moved my 6 goslings (from Ideal a week old today) and 7 ducklings (also a week old from Ideal) - a total of 13 to the same brooder I had the chicks in... and oh my gosh they stink! I completely change out the pine chips every day. I also use a metal 2 gallon waterer... and what a mess! I finally discovered I could use the plastic lid (turned upside down) from a plastic rubbermaid type tub/storage container to catch the majority of the water and gunk as they mess with their water. It cut down on the wettness and some of the smell today.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by