OMG!! ducklings STINK!

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I've had far too many chicks and brooders inside all winter. The odor never got to be noticeable. I'm not a crazy, clean it everyday kinda person. I used wood pellets and it kept everything sweet
smile.png

I have 2 Yes just 2...week old ducklings in with my 5 2 week old d'uccles. The smell has been sickening. The ducks are going into their own brooder tonight, but holy stench that's bad!

any pointers? Yes, I'll clean it more often, that's a given.

yes, they have a 'special' kind of stink, don't they!??!

the best thing is cleaning up and the most space you can give them. good ventilation.

just keep thinking, "Pretty soon they can go outside!"
big_smile.png

yep found that out too.... If they would drink some of the water instead of just play with it I doubt it would be bad. I have to clean there side of the brooder every other day.... They are in the garage....

But it got my husband to planning on building me a chicken house
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
He don't want them in the garage anymore.

i always kept thing in a huge plastic tote with a light then would have pine in to help..also i put big rocks in the water so they can only drink it not slash it and make the mess bigger.Then about every other day i would..ok dont lol at my hilbillynesssss...

i would stick them in my bath tub with just about 1/2- inch of water while i took the tote out and sprayed it with the water hose.then start over.they are a mess but wait till to put them in the bathtub omg they are fun.

We had a full grown duck blow in with a storm once and took up residents with my goat. Before he found his way back home he made the biggest mess in the goat pen and left a terrible smell. And he was only there for maybe 10 days.
sad.png

I've always said baby ducks smell like a mixture of raw meat and mud and mayonaise, gotta love it
love.gif

baby ducks themselves smell absolutely adorable

Quote:
I am in complete agreement. I had my 83 + chicks in my laundry room and there was very little smell (comparitively I guess). I moved the chicks to a different building/brooder this monday and moved my 6 goslings (from Ideal a week old today) and 7 ducklings (also a week old from Ideal) - a total of 13 to the same brooder I had the chicks in... and oh my gosh they stink! I completely change out the pine chips every day. I also use a metal 2 gallon waterer... and what a mess! I finally discovered I could use the plastic lid (turned upside down) from a plastic rubbermaid type tub/storage container to catch the majority of the water and gunk as they mess with their water. It cut down on the wettness and some of the smell today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom