OMG horrible morning....

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
As many of you know I have had quail hatching over the weekend. I have 15 chicks in the brooder one more egg hatching. Well I keep my quail chicks in a fish tank lined with paper towels for the first couple days until their leg muscles develope nicely. Well this morning I woke up to hear my mom saying " Sam I think one of your quail is dead " I got up out of bed rushed to the brooder to see a chick lying there. I reached in to grab him to see if he was actually dead and realized OMG THEY ARE ALL SOAKED!!! The quart chick waterer leaked all into the brooder and the paper towels just absorbed it and made it like a swamp in there. Me and my mom both rushed to get all the chicks out and put them all in a towel.....dryed them the best we could and then put them in a different brooder and held the heat light over them. We both thought that they all were lost......BUT ALL ARE NOW DRY AND DOING FINE!!! This was a horrible morning....I stayed home from school just so I can make sure nothing else happens. Please QUAIL NOOOOOO more pool parties!
smile.png

If it had to happen be glad it didn't haqppen while you were at school all day. There is always a bright side!

Show us some photos of those little thing!

Glad for you Sam. That they were only wet and not dead. I understand that they drown easily, as do turkeys. We have thought about getting quail, but can't find them around here. Good luck with them.

Sam I am so sorry!! You need to watch them very closely though, I had this happen two weeks ago. Even though we got them dried off and they seemed fine, about 4 days later one got very lethargic and died, then the next day the same thing happened to another. Out of the 5 that almost drowned I've lost two of them, the others have had trouble with pasty little butts since then but I think they will make it. I'm just glad this happened during my 3 weeks off so I could watch them closely. We'll keep you and your little birdies in our thoughts and prayers.
Kate

Thanks everyone! My mom was coming in to wake me up. I never would have though of this happening. Now they are in a big brooder...with paper towels over shavings. All seem well and are eating...drinking...and sleeping.
Will keep a close eye on them...and will get pics once they are all in the brooder...still one egg left!
big_smile.png

Good thing your mom seen them. It happened here too. My daughter kept pulling the brooder near her and the water spilled. Or my husband will move them and spill the water.
smack.gif

I'm glad they are good now.

Back
Top Bottom