OMG I can't afford to send my kids to public school!

Yep,, this is one reason my after school Kid's Club is popular,, it's strictly on donations and free, if we don't have supplies, then we can't do anything. But it's not a school sponsored club, it's mine, started in my portable for the kids who want to do it.

Quote:
This is EXACTLY why I have been begging my kids schools to go paper free!

If they emailed the parents the school news letters, and book order forms and class trip forms it would do many things

1) in my case... I would actually GET THE MEMO my dd is famous for loosing them on the bus or leaving them in her cubby so I never get them
2) i would be able to read it anywhere
3) save trees... whoa.. theres a thought
roll.png

4) save time.. how much time does it waste to have someone copy and count all the news letters
5) save the premature wear on the copier and reduce the repair/replacement cost
6) save the cost of ink or toner

I get soooo mad... I will pile up all the "junk" mail from the school and return it to the school monthly to make my point

Quote:
Parents ARE paying! we have property taxes - and trust me, we can barely afford those! .

+1 million!
I don't have my own kids, but the property taxes keep going up and up and it is all allegedly for the schools!

So I am paying for schools that my non-existent kids never use. How many others are doing the same?

I know it seems strange for high school but Cambells Soup Lables offers a lot of supplies that the teachers can then buy from them. Also Box Tops helps . Our school isn't that into it but we raise about 1500 a year for supplies.
Also how about having the student ask a local business to sponser them to get the calculator. The buisness gets a tax right off and your Student gets the calculator. I am all for Craigs-list and Ebay for getting a discount on items.

Quote:
This is EXACTLY why I have been begging my kids schools to go paper free!

We are online and parents can view their students grades anytime they want to. However, we are still required to issue 2 progress reports per nine weeks that the students have to sign for. This is none so that there is no excuse for a parent not knowing that their child was in jeopardy of failing a grading period. So, there are some trees that must still die in our society.

The upside is we have a recycling program on site !
smile.png

I still require parent signatures at the beginning of school on a form where I list all parent signatures. This is to compare signatures to the ones I get back on forms I send home. Paperless would be wonderful, but signatures are proof of the pudding.

Glad my raisng days are done! What ever happened to a pencil, paper, and figuring the darn thing out yourself?? No wonder when the power goes out, the young clerks at the stores don't know how to make change!

not sure if anyone brought it up but the sharpie can dissappear if your determined enough, when my second one was stolen when i went through school, we used a dremel and etched the name in.

My dad used his Dremel to etch my name on my calculator when I was in high school. It worked out just fine, but I also was the kind of kid who kept track of my stuff.

Most kids at the school I teach at come to school with nothing -- no notebook, no paper, no pencils, no calculator, etc. The majority of our students are on free/reduced lunch, so it's understandable. I get $150 a year for supplies for over 200 students (I teach high school). That's less than a dollar per kid, and I see each student 2/3 of the year since we're on trimesters. It is helpful if parents can provide their kids with supplies if they can afford it, and it is helpful when they donate things to the school like Kleenex (I buy it for my class, and I also provide lotion and hand sanitizer). If parents can't afford something, then they can usually talk to the teacher and work something out. The teacher may have a calculator a student can borrow during the class period, for example, or may know of an older student who wants to sell his or hers at a reduced price.

Also, check out flea markets and garage sales and eBay. My DH, who is a computer scientist, collects old scientific calculators and has found most of his collection at flea markets and online.

I have 1 son, my DH has a son and a daughter. Son and I moved around quite a bit when he was younger, then we stayed put for quite a while. Everywhere any of us lived, there were a LOT of things for school that we paid for. Any extra activities were also extra money. We did some home schooling, as well. Now, all the kids are grown, and our taxes are still paying for education for other people's kids. That's ok, I believe kids need an education, and that it benefits society as a whole if they get it.

I think it sucks that our teachers aren't better paid, and that so many schools are under-supplied. I'm in KY, where sports appear to take precedence over science, and I think that sucks, too. I don't have anything against kids playing various sports, I'm all for physical activity. I just wish that basic education was as popular as sports programs.

Back
Top Bottom