OMG it crowed

mamarosa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
I thought I bought 25 chicks that were SUPPOSE to be all girls,,,,,, well I noticed that one of the chikens was getting bigger, had pretty tail feathers and seemed alittle more mature then the rest. They are almost 16 weeks old
this morning, I let them out as usual and this one comes out of the house and seemed like it had something in its throat when suddenly it crowed or sounded like a hoarse crow.... what now....
Alot of people on the site get rid of roosters why????
what about egg laying, will this be a problem down the line
NO one is laying yet.
help this is my first attempt at chickens I got them on 6/19/08
any info would be appreciate

I think most get rid of roosters because of the noise. Especially those that have close neighbors. I think they get rid of them also if they have too many.

I don't think it will affect the egg laying at all.

gig.gif

That's hilarious
One roo with your hens shouldn't be a problem. lt will not affect egg laying.
I have two roos with my 15 girls and so far so good.
N:_)

I have One EE roo and 2 Bantam roos with mine, and I think 2 of the chicks I was raising are roos...ugh. I am an example of too many roos LOL. but oh well I will just have to get rid of some of these boys!!

It doesn't affect egg laying. If you only ended up with one cockerel out of 25 chicks consider yourself lucky.
If you can have a roo where you live (no neighbors to complain or code regulations), then a rooster is a good thing to have. Great protection for your flock.

We enjoy our roosters and since we let the chickens range they do an excellent job protecting the hens. We are in the country and the crowing doesn't bother anyone. One rooster for 24 hens will wear him out though! You might want to research the personality of the rooster. There has been a lot of good discussion on this site you might like to go back in a search and read.

If your neighbors don't mind and you don't mind the crowing then I would just keep him! I have 2 roos and I love both of them! I have 18 hens and 2 roos all different breeds! I LOVE to hear the crowing when I am going about my day getting my stuff done!
You can eat the eggs as you would if you had no rooster! BUT if you don't want babies make sure you collect them everyday! Then the up side is, if you do want babies, you got them! It is a very controllable situation and is nothing to worry about! I thinkyour hens will appreciate a good manly man around doing his guarding job! And it is REALLY cute when they find something to eat and call all the hens over to the goodies!

I don't have roos, and won't have any, unless I move. We aren't allowed to keep roosters in our city. If we ever move somewhere I can have roosters, I will.

Back
Top Bottom