OMG Look at this WHAT IS THIS!?!? -ACK (beware VERY OMG graphic!)

Well, my body is telling me it is time for bed! I just wanted to say that after alot of things I read, it sounds like it could be an abcess in the sinuses caused by the Coryza you mentioned. I hope you are able to help her. I'll check this post tomorrow to see if you have any updates.
smile.png
Good night.

Last edited:
Hi there, that looks painfull
hugs.gif
. The chances are its probebly full of puss & fluid, thats not a bad thing because the reason we get fluid is the body,s way of pretecting the injury ie the eye in her case. Only know this as my chicken had a swollen eye and thats what my vet said (not as bad as yours). I dont think its a tumor as that takes weeks to grow. I would remove her from the others. Then boil some water with a t-spoon of salt, wait for it to go warm not hot and bath it about 4 times a day. If you have any antibiotic eye drops put them in.. Good luck. Tracy x

She definately needs continued antibiotics. Poor thing. As the above post said, pus is good in a sense, but Ive NEVER seen a vet or doctor, for that matter, just leave an abcess to heal on its own! Its generaly lanced and drained and then packed with something to promote healing. Im inclined to think that the huge amount of pus is causing her eye to be a bit numb, hence the reason she "seems fine". Make no mistake though, if no action is taken, sooner or later, that abcess WILL rupture and it WILL cause her a lot of pain. If you dont have the stomach to take care of it, Id take her to the vet. If the vet's not an option, Id have her culled. All that said though, maybe itll heal just with some hard core antibiotics. I hope so.
fl.gif

ep.gif
th.gif
OMG. That looks horrible. Poor baby!! I must admit that I would probably open that thing up if I were you. If for no other reason than to find out what the heck it is. Wonderful that she isn't in pain. Though I do agree that if left untreated, she will be in a lot of pain sooner rather than later. Keep us updated! Has it grown any?

Please dont lance it yourself! Get a vet to do it... Give her some antibiotics, a broad-spectrim one like Baytril or Tynal if you have any..Put some ACV in her water to boost her immune system up! If you dont have any antibiotics i will text my boss who is a pharmacist (not a vet lol) and see what human ones you can give her...Tracy x

Ok i hope this helps, ive just been speaking to my boss (a pharmacist) he said if you are going to treat her yourself and lance it here are some good pointers.

Place a warm face cloth over the eye for 20 mins, keep moving it round so no cold is on the eye. Sterilize the head of a pin or needle with alcohol or a flame. Poke a hole in the head of the abscess, and allow the pus to drain. You may need to apply pressure to get the pus to drain. Apply antibiotic ointment once the pus has drained, and bandage the abscess. Bacitracin ointment is commonly used as a home remedy. Continue using warm compresses a couple of times a day for at least 3 days to ensure all the pus drains from the abscess. Dont squeeze the abscess as this will spread the infection to somewhere else. Hope this helps hun.. I feel for you as ive been there many times before.. Im lucky ive got a good boss who loves animals lol..xxx

Lancing it in that way will likely not do very much for her. This is because chicken abcesses "go hard" This means that there is nothing to drain. The OP is quite correct in saying that it is rock hard. The abcess will need to be opened and the material removed, whether it be by herself or a vet.

I think I remember reading that she prefers to let nature take it's course with her birds. If that is correct, I would stronly suggest culling. She may seem fine now, but it won't be long before she is quite uncomfortable
hmm.png

Yes your probebly right... My boss is explaining how to treat a humans abscess.. At least i know what to do if i get one lol... I hope she makes it the poor thing... Thanks chickinthief. Tracy x

Those photo's aren't the very OMG graphic....think were all adults here and believe me, having treated both human emergencies and equine and animal, that is nothing.

Take the hen to a vet!! That is nothing to try to do yourself, you could potentially make it worse and sometimes we need to be the good steward and ask for help from a professional...

Back
Top Bottom