OMG OMG ick ick ick YUCK!

GrannySue

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Scaly leg mites!

My 2 mutts developed scaly leg mites and I didn't notice until it was pretty (I mean ugly) far gone.
They've always had chunky legs anyway but one day last week I noticed that instead of pink, their legs were black. And much chunkier.

I am such a bad chickem mommy for not noticing sooner!

I Googled leg mite images and confirmed that's what it was. Then I read almost everything I could find here and in my books and elsewhere. (Hey, did you know there are other chicken places on the web? Can't figure out why they bother.
wink.png
)

So, both girls have had their legs massaged with Vaseline twice, and I've sprayed the others' legs with Pam in case the mites get mad and look for more victims. The affected girls' legs look better already.

I'll give the henhouse a huge cleanout as soon as the feed store gets more DE which should be on Friday.

OMG OMG ick ick ick YUCK!

DE is good for a lot of things but will not KILL any mites that are hiding in the coop. You have to use a pesticide like Sevin dust or Sevin liquid. In the case of mites I would go with the liquid. That way you can spray the corners and cracks of the coop and kill them right where they like to live. After airing out really well add fresh bedding and you should be good to go.
The dried liquid will continue to kill so if anything else tries to move in it will take care of them.

I can't get Sevin here on the island, does Dri-Kill work on leg mites?
Otherwise it's a trip on the ferry for me on Thursday.

Edit I found out in another thread that Sevin isn't available in Canada any more without a pesticide licence. I also found out that Dri-Kill is better than nothing for mites, especially when it's dusted onto perches and nest boxes.
Guess I'd better do my major cleanout this afternoon since rain is forecast (at last! Yay!) for the next few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom