Omg!! Such Stupid People One Meets!!

On a brighter note I grew up on a farm, have been around chickens all my life, and two people on this forum saved two pullets for me because they knew more than I did.

Quote:
Wow, so true.

hugs.gif
To the OP, you did what you could. I hope those chickies live long enough for them to call you to take them.
fl.gif

I'll admit to being unprepared when I got my oldest chicks 5 months ago. I'd talked to a friend and mentioned I was looking for chickens and a few days later her broody was killed and she gave me the chicks because she couldn't look after them and her dogs wanted to eat them. Thankfully I knew what to do. Raced them home in a box, pulled apart a lamp, hung the globe up and got the tiny things warmed up.

I feel so sorry for those chickies in the stores over there. They don't have them like that here and chicks are much more expensive so people are less inclined to buy them.

I have skimmed through most of the posts on this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I am very glad to the OP for saying something to the person buying those poor chicks! I work at a TSC and was so glad about 4 or 5 years ago when we were no longer keeping them in store cause it stopped all the people from buying them and then coming back when they all "mysteriously" died because they did not know how to prperly care for the chicks even though I have told them all they need a heat lamp and proper feeders and waterers and then they go on to buy just chicks and nothing else for them. It makes me so mad when someone buys these chicks from us, comes back 2 days later and tells me "my kids were playing with the chicks yesterday before we went to bed and they were fine, then this morning we went to play with them and they were dead"! My first question is always "did you have a heat lamp". Most reply "No, did I really need one"? Really, to keep me from going on and on about this, all I really want to say is there should be a license that you must obtain to own ANY kind of animal and you must go to classes each year to keep said license valid!

No matter what you say to some TSC customers, they will not listen. I work there, I own these animals, I know what I am talking about. I do not come up with this stuff out of left field. I hatch out hundreds of chicks every year. Yet when I tell them something it is in one ear and out the other and all you hear is awwwwwwww, look at the cute chicks, let's get some! But since I am an employee, I can not say anything other than suggest what they need because "the customer is always right"...yeah right, not always.

ETA: I had to tell this story. Last year at the other TSC I worked at we had the ducks and chicks of course. My neighbor directly across the road from me, knowing I had chickens and ducks here and knew how to care for them went to TSC when I was off work one day and bought 6 ducks. They took them home and they lasted 3 days and died. Came back to my house one day screaming at me while I was off work saying that the duck starter I sold them killed the ducks. Now mind you that I was not there the day they bought the ducks, BUT I sold it to them. I asked them if I could see where they were keeping the ducks. They let me see it. I was appalled. I know ducks like water, my week and half old pekins are the biggest water players I have ever seen. This rubbermaid tub they had was wayyyyyy to small for 6 pekins. I would have been suprised if they could have moved inside that tub, even for being day olds. There was no heat light. The bedding was soaked to the point if you touched it the water swelled up around your hand. The feed was just thrown on top of wet bedding and the water was in a tiny pie pan that was not deep enough for baby ducks to drink from. I just looked at them and told them, I do not think the feed killed the ducks, it is the lack of care. I tried to educate them a little on raising ducks but they did not listen. They then came to work the next day and demanded we refund them the money for the ducks because they suffered from the ducks dying and give them new ducks to replace the ones that the feed I sold them killed. I shook my head, explained to the manager at that store what they had done. He finally just gave them their money back and told them they were not allowed to buy anymore chicks or ducks from us. To this day, they do not come over here anymore to talk to me and I think it makes them mad when they see my chickens and duck thriving and running all over the yard.

Last edited:
I have a neighbor who needs those classes you mentioned, only problem is if they told him he had to have the class he would just go buy animals on the black market. I can tell that chick days are wearing on the folks at our TSC. A couple of them are also experienced animal owners and feel the way you do.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I really wanna try this on some of my customers and see if they believe me. Oh wait, they think I am the local veterinarian cause they can not afford a real vet, they would definitely believe me!

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
Hope this helps.

Acronym Definition
BRE Business Reply Envelope
BRF Brain Research Foundation
BBQ Be Back Quick
QVC Qatar Vinyl Company
ETC Ethiopian Tourism Commission

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Brilliant CL, brilliant!!!​

I'm glad you posted this topic! I raise show rabbits, Jersey Woolies and American Fuzzy Lops. I refuse to sell even one to a family that wants one for a pet for a young child. I won't sell them at Easter period...! Recently I have even decided not to sell them until they are several months old. Unfortunately, too many people can't even take care of their own children properly, much less a pet.

I try to care for my pets as if I were them. Clean cool water, plenty of good food, shelter from the elements, medication to prevent or treat illness, and extra treats. I play music for them and pick clover for the bunnies. If you wouldn't want to drink the water from your pets bowl, you shouldn't expect him to drink it either.
bun.gif

Quote:
I agree 100%! I got my bunny from a random rabbit breeder, and they didn't look good, but I just wanted to get that baby out of there. the adults were fine, but the baby was kept horribly! I didn't expect her to make it, but she did:) she now gets about the same as your rabbits do:) as far a chicks go- I am SO happy that because we live out in the sticks, most people know how to properly take care of chicks-even if they don't like to, they know it necessary. i think some people should have to get license's for some pets. if you've taken care of pets for years, and have the vet records to prove that you actually do care enough to get them taken care of, and all of your animals are healthy and have good living conditions, then you shouldn't have to, but if you're a new pet owner, then YES-you need to at least take a basic class on what proper care is for animals

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
Hope this helps.

Acronym Definition
BRE Business Reply Envelope
BRF Brain Research Foundation
BBQ Be Back Quick
QVC Qatar Vinyl Company
ETC Ethiopian Tourism Commission

smile.png

We forgot what Wisconsin Tourism federation.
ETA. ok I wrote the correct initials but the forum keeps changing the 3 letters to a word.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom