OMG - The cost of a chain link fence run !!!!!!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Jan 23, 2013
Pocono Mtns
My Coop
My Coop
I designed our run so it will be about 250 square feet. It is an irregular shape, but basically it will require 70' of 6' fencing and then the fencing over the top for the roof. I have calculated that with 4x4's for posts, 2x4's for the roof span and 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth for the fence and roof I could do it for around $600 ball park. Here's my idea:

Click either picture to enlarge
So, with that in mind, I called Lowes and Home Depot to come out and give me an estimate for a chain link run. I figured $600 is a decent budget to start with; let me see what they will charge. I only have one estimate so far, but I can't believe the other one will be much cheaper. For the run fencing, gate and roof one of these companies has given me an estimate of $2500. My eyes almost fell out of my head when the estimator told me that. The run is really no larger than a decent sized room in a house. I had no idea fence prices were that high. Looks like I'll be doing it myself with wood and hardware cloth.

We did ours with the 7' high chicken wire and reinforced it with 48" high field fence to keep out the heavier predators. It wasn't much $$ with the chicken wire and we already had leftover field fence (it's usually pretty easy to find in <100 increments from leftover fencing). From there it was just purchasing the 4x4's and installing them.

I am getting ready to fence in another large area for the chickens and I am going to use horse fence from farm and fleet. It has 2''x4'' holes heavy enough to keep out coyotes and fox.will use treated 4'' wood posts for corner posts and braces and steel t posts between. This if self installed is inexpensive and sturdy.(I will have to lock them up at night..raccoons) You could use your 4x4 treated posts and run rafters to nail the fencing to. If using netting I would reinforce with horse fence or cattle panel to keep large animals from tearing holes into it.

I got the best price for 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" x 4' x 100' rolls of hardware cloth from my local Ace Hardware..no shipping charge as they have a truck come every week anyway.

I got the best price for 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" x 4' x 100' rolls of hardware cloth from my local Ace Hardware..no shipping charge as they have a truck come every week anyway.

May I ask what you paid for it at Ace? I don't have an Ace near by, but I do have a True Value Hardware Store. I may speak with them to see what price they can get. I found a Hardware Cloth Manufacturer about 45 minutes from my house. I can save shipping by picking it up, and a 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" x 4' x 100' roll will cost me $102.00. I need two of them. That's the best price I have found so far.

How far apart do you folks place your support posts? I was thinking of every four feet...this way I can run the 48" hardware cloth vertically. However, now I am thinking I should place the support posts further apart and run a horizontal board half way up and run the 48" hardware cloth horizontally. It will save on the number of posts and the post installation labor.

May I ask what you paid for it at Ace? I don't have an Ace near by, but I do have a True Value Hardware Store. I may speak with them to see what price they can get. I found a Hardware Cloth Manufacturer about 45 minutes from my house. I can save shipping by picking it up, and a 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" x 4' x 100' roll will cost me $102.00. I need two of them. That's the best price I have found so far.
thats a great price for that hardware cloth.

Ahhh You are the one from another post who mentioned being able to pick it up! $105 and 4 miles from home ;-)

Back
Top Bottom