OMG this makes me sick :(

I just googled "featherless chickens" and this was all started back in and before 2002.
The cross is between a broiler and a turken. So the chicken is smaller, but has trouble breeding because the rooster has no wing feathers for balance.
The heat generated is enormous, they need to be kept indoors and airconditioning is needed to keep them at optimum temps to grow well. That is just too expensive for poor third world countries to make it a good food source.

So while in theory, the idea seems good, it seems (from reading) it is just not practical.

Quote:
It would be nice to believe that these birds would cure world hunger but the price of these birds would be too high for the average person living in a 3rd world country to afford. Not to mention the fact that these birds can not naturally reproduce then this well be a continual cost which would not make buying, raising and slaughtering these birds profitable or even close to cost effective.

If we in the USA want to truly help end world hunger then talk to your politicians about changing legistalation concerning paying farmers not to grow crops. As long as there is world hunger a farmer should never be paid for not growing food.

Having been someone who has in the past owned hairless rats I really cannot say anythings about featherless chickens except they are not anything I would want to own just because I know they would require far more up keep and I already spend quite a bit of time and money spoiling my chickens.
big_smile.png

"If we in the USA want to truly help end world hunger then talk to your politicians about changing legistalation concerning paying farmers not to grow crops. As long as there is world hunger a farmer should never be paid for not growing food"

Muesky,
Can you point me in the direction of more information on this subject? I have never heard of this before....
Thanks,

Quote:
It would be nice to believe that these birds would cure world hunger but the price of these birds would be too high for the average person living in a 3rd world country to afford. Not to mention the fact that these birds can not naturally reproduce then this well be a continual cost which would not make buying, raising and slaughtering these birds profitable or even close to cost effective.

If we in the USA want to truly help end world hunger then talk to your politicians about changing legistalation concerning paying farmers not to grow crops. As long as there is world hunger a farmer should never be paid for not growing food.

Having been someone who has in the past owned hairless rats I really cannot say anythings about featherless chickens except they are not anything I would want to own just because I know they would require far more up keep and I already spend quite a bit of time and money spoiling my chickens.
big_smile.png

I never insinuated this would "end world hunger". Its just a step to try and develop a more efficiently grown bird in areas that cannot raise common meat birds. I don't think world hunger is going to be solved by the development of any meat animal. However, the further development of this animal could mean a way for some people in the world to have better, cheaper access to meat.

Quote:
they say that it will help end world hunger
lol.png
how would that help at all? its unbelievable how stupid people can get
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack.gif

yea yer right

Back
Top Bottom