OMG! What is this dead thing in my driveway?????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by carriehelene, Jun 7, 2010.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Looks like having 6 cats might be a benefit....but what the heck is this dead thing? Pretty sure it was hunting my chickens, it's got tiny pointed teeth. Just gross [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Looks like a weasel to me. Can you tell why it's dead? If it wasn't killed by something and it has some sort of disease you might want to report that to F&G.

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like my ferret, so maybe a weasil? I don't know how long their little tails are. . .poor thing.

4. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    weasel

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Weasel for sure. Be glad he got hit heading to your chickens and not after he was already in there....yikes!

6. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Weasel... they are cunning little predators that can fit in the smallest places. Glad it didn't get your chickens!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  7. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    DH just got home, and said it's a minx [​IMG] I thought it looked kinda like a weasel myself, but never having seen one in person, I don't know. I'm just glad my kitties got it before it got my chickens. DH said it's young yet, probably would have gone after the eggs, not the chickens. Ummm, think he's forgetting I have Serama's and Pyncheons out there also, that wouldn't stand a chance against any kind of hunter, no matter how small. Not to mention all the babies the broodies have hatched out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    Looks like a Weasel or Martin (in the Weasel family )- I almost ran over a mink the other day - it ran across the road with a baby in its mouth! It was a beautiful dark dark brown. Thank goodness that is was not close to my house [​IMG]

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I've never seen a mink with that sort of white belly coloring.... and I use a LOT of fur, I make hats, mittens and such from them. I've also never seen a mink with a black tipped tail... their tails are usually one color... It's definitely not a marten and if it was you'd need save the pelt and sell it for about $90..lol

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Yep, looks like a weasel, I saw a ton of them in Hawaii.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by