OMGOMGOMGOMG>>>>>> UPDATE!:

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lickskillet, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lickskillet

lickskillet *Home of the Shoveler*

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    Sorry im shaking!! My husband just shot a german shephard in our chicken run! It got 17 out of 31 chickens!! My 13 yr old daughter whose these chickens are the pets of is hysterical, she is the one who locks them up of a evening. She heard a noise and went to see what was happening and saw a massacre happening! She grabbed a shovel beating the dog in the head while yelling for us! My husband grabbed his gun and shot it! Then a neighbor pulled down the drive and I said are you missing a dog she said where is it? Real MEAN! Husband said its dead over there and explained what happened as these neighbors were patients of his and neighbors for the past 17 years! She said chickens are replaceable we said so are dogs! These most were hatched by
    daughter from eggs!! They had names! Shes devastated we all are! As are the people whose dog it was i'm sure! But to be so mean to US for what their dog did?? We called the sherriff and made a report! Should I ask for compensation? The oldest of 7 sons came and tooke the dog home, all the while we were making sure he didn't do anything to the rest of the chickens as my husband offered to help him gert the dog and put it in his jeep, but the son was evil and said husband was a piece of poop and to just get away! We could have made him call the sherriff to pick up the dog and him stay off our property! Sorry just had to vent and sorry for the typos this just happened!! Nervous wreck!!

That is a pic of poor DD in avatar

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Yes. You should be able to get compensation. You'll probably have to call animal control. That sucks! So sorry.

Edited to say that I wouldn't go to the neighbor to ask . Do it officially.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh man that's rough. You did what you had to do. Sorry your family is going through this. Hope things get better soon.

Imp/Russ

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

I know how much it sucks to put all of that work into a coop, and irresponsible neighbors ruin it....
    You did the right thing.
    And yes, I think it is perfectly fine to ask for compensation for the deaths.

5. ruthie

ruthie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Nebraska
    I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you. A big hug coming your way.

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    YOu had every right in the world to shoot the dog. They were on your property and killing your livestock. Dont' worry about the neighbors or the dead dog. And to your question "should I ask for compensation"? YES!!!! you should for your daughters sake and the sake of any other chicken owners nearby.

Sorry all of this happened. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You bet I'd demand compensation! It won't bring your pets back, but it will hit them in the wallet, where it seems to hurt the most.

8. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Absolutely you should demand compensation. They were in the wrong. Many areas have laws that state their dog must be under their control at all times it is not on their property. Don't forget property damage as well as the actual birds. I am so sorry for your and your DD's loss.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm sorry that the situation called for putting the dog down. That could have been a very dangerous situation if the dog would have turned on your daughter.

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Good grief YES you should officially ask for compensation. Do it in small claims court and do it fast! Before they go out and spend that money on another expensive dog to replace the one that did in DD's chickens.

ETA: I'm sorry how rude of me! Hugs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by