? on my ducks for the winter

LabMama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
The sticks, VA
ok so I have 2 ducks a pekin and a khaki campbell. they free range 24/7 even at night and they NEVER get put up not even at night. we didnt have them last winter and im new at all this duck stuff. They wont let us touch them and even if I put something out there for them to get in they will not. They sleep next to the porch every night though. I live in Va and its starting to get cool at night and im worried about what we will do in the winter. Do you think if I put a little hut out there next to where they sleep at night that they will get in it if there cold enough?

Quote:
Your lucky nothing has nabbed them...If I missed one night of locking up..my troops would be gone:( ANYHOO yes, build them a nice warm duck house-with hay and all the comforts...Can you fence them in once they settle down at night? keeping them locked up for a few days so they have to notice their new house and explore its insides? That the way I did it. They put themselves to bed at night and I lock them up once in house:)

Quote:
Your lucky nothing has nabbed them...If I missed one night of locking up..my troops would be gone:( ANYHOO yes, build them a nice warm duck house-with hay and all the comforts...Can you fence them in once they settle down at night? keeping them locked up for a few days so they have to notice their new house and explore its insides? That the way I did it. They put themselves to bed at night and I lock them up once in house:)

X2

i know we are lucky. Our ducks n chickens have been free ranging since the day we got them and not one has gotten snatched up. were not really close to the woods though and our ducks sleep right next to our house so they dont wander past the yard or from my grandmas next door. I take that back we did loose a duck but our dog got her. I believe were going to try some sort of fence once we get a little extra money. they just look so happy wondering around. I did just get 4 big bails of straw and make a little hutt with it and covered it with a big tarp. And put it right behind the house where they sleep. Hopefully they will get in it...hopefully...

Back
Top Bottom