Once and for all, a pictorial pro/con list of raising chickens....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moenmitz, Oct 13, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    [​IMG]

Pro

[​IMG]

Pro

[​IMG]

Pro

[​IMG]

Pro

[​IMG]

Double-yolked Pro!

[​IMG]

Super big Pro [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Con

I keep seeing posts asking is it cost effective, can I actually save any SIGNIFICANT amount of money.....ummm, maybe some can, but for most, I doubt it. I try not to keep too close of track or I might be depressed! But, can you put a price on the joy of seeing beautiful birds scratching through the fall leaves? Can you put a price on watching them play keep away over a found toad, or a piece of tomato? How do you calculate the fuzzy feeling you get when they are all roosted in the barn for the night, except for a few who jump down to wander over and peck your shoes or jump on your lap for one last snuggle before bed? What about the satisfaction of filling your freezer with delicious, healthy chicken that YOU raised and worked for, without having to worry about what it was fed, how it lived, or how it died? Can you raise chickens cheaper than you can buy them at the grocery store? I can't. But I don't get any of the above from the grocery store. Is it worth it? For us- without a doubt.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    GREAT post. [​IMG]

Even better pics! [​IMG]

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When I first glanced at the first picture, I thought the chicken was riding the tricycle! I was trying to figure out how in the world you get it to do that!

Quote:

4. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    LOL, I hadn't even noticed that! Yes, we have very athletic chickens...doesn't everybody? [​IMG]

5. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I thought the exact same thing!

6. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    The reason I thought it was so funny is because I was actually stupid enough to belive it for a second! [​IMG]

7. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Too bad I didn't catch it...with a little photo editing, I could have made it look pretty realistic!

8. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Where do you live? It looks like heaven! Your property is gorgeous. You are a great photographer.

9. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Iowa- thank you. Not such a great photographer, just a beautiful day and a good camera. I love fall!

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Ha! You summed it alllll up for me [​IMG] I walk around scraping up as much of it as I can- bless their little hearts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by