Once and for all, a pictorial pro/con list of raising chickens....

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
8978_chickensfall.jpg

Pro

8978_buff_orpington.jpg

Pro

8978_chickens_yard2.jpg

Pro

8978_chickens_barn.jpg

Pro

8978_eggs_001.jpg

Double-yolked Pro!

8978_chicken_killer_008.jpg

Super big Pro
big_smile.png

8978_chicken_poo.jpg

Con

I keep seeing posts asking is it cost effective, can I actually save any SIGNIFICANT amount of money.....ummm, maybe some can, but for most, I doubt it. I try not to keep too close of track or I might be depressed! But, can you put a price on the joy of seeing beautiful birds scratching through the fall leaves? Can you put a price on watching them play keep away over a found toad, or a piece of tomato? How do you calculate the fuzzy feeling you get when they are all roosted in the barn for the night, except for a few who jump down to wander over and peck your shoes or jump on your lap for one last snuggle before bed? What about the satisfaction of filling your freezer with delicious, healthy chicken that YOU raised and worked for, without having to worry about what it was fed, how it lived, or how it died? Can you raise chickens cheaper than you can buy them at the grocery store? I can't. But I don't get any of the above from the grocery store. Is it worth it? For us- without a doubt.

Last edited:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
clap.gif
When I first glanced at the first picture, I thought the chicken was riding the tricycle! I was trying to figure out how in the world you get it to do that!

Quote:

Last edited:
LOL, I hadn't even noticed that! Yes, we have very athletic chickens...doesn't everybody?
smile.png

The reason I thought it was so funny is because I was actually stupid enough to belive it for a second!
lol.png

Too bad I didn't catch it...with a little photo editing, I could have made it look pretty realistic!

Iowa- thank you. Not such a great photographer, just a beautiful day and a good camera. I love fall!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom