One baby missing an eye

shandani

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Hello, I just hatched 6 ducklings from my female mallard's first batch of eggs. I was eager to put the last chick in with the others and am afraid now that I put him with the others too soon. he wasn't completely dry and fluffed up but the box his siblings are in is so warm I thought he'd be fine. I recently notice one of his eyes seems to be damaged or possibly not even there. Could this be a birth defect or could the other ducklings have done this to him? they did peck at him some when he joined them but they had done that with each that was added.

On another issue, our female is alone :( She is very lonely since her male flew away. We thought she would love the babies but their first meeting didn't go well at all. She fluffed up her feathers and then lunged at them. I have since brought her in for a few minutes at a time and had a barrier between them. At what age will she accept them? I thought for sure she would love the company since she has taken to following even the cat around looking for companionship. The baby mallards are just over a week now. I'm full of questions so here's another one, my older daughter took 2 of the babies back to her college dorm with her. She will be home next weekend with them and needs to leave them home. She just wanted to bond for a bit and not miss out on all the baby stuff we are getting to do. So, after 2 weeks absence will the other babies accept these 2 siblings back with them?

i would not add the ducklings until they get as big as her she might kill them cause she did not hatch them

Duck social structure is unfathomable to me, but there are some general ideas that work for most of us, based on what I read here.

Introducktions and re-introducktions need to go slowly. Ducks sometimes do not do well together at first, and that goes for duck mommas, too. They may be excellent broodies, but then kill their babies. Mysterious.

So, now that you know you have a few situations, proceed accordingly. Protect the defenseless ones. Using temporary plastic poultry fencing between them, I would set up parallel brooders for the babes. Do not assume they will get along. Letting them see each other for a while - even days - will help them adjust. Give everyone treats at the same time to help them associate good things with being together.

Treat the little wounded one's eye with saline solution or Vetericyn rinses, followed with some antibiotic cream or ointment around the eye.

Got your hands full!! Hang in there, please keep us updated, and

welcome-byc.gif

I keep them separate. We bring mom in the house and let her look at them through the clear box they are in. She seems interested in their chirps. Hopefully we can get her acclimated to them before too long. I'd like to get them out of the house once it warms up and I'm in FL so cool weather is gone by April.

Thanks for the advice. I read threads here for a while while incubating and hatching our babies. Lots of good info :)

I keep them separate. We bring mom in the house and let her look at them through the clear box they are in. She seems interested in their chirps. Hopefully we can get her acclimated to them before too long. I'd like to get them out of the house once it warms up and I'm in FL so cool weather is gone by April.

Thanks for the advice. I read threads here for a while while incubating and hatching our babies. Lots of good info :)
The ducklings your dd took to school will not be looked at as part of the flock so another slow introduction will need to be made to keep them safe.

Oddly, the duck with the damaged eye has healed. All seem to have perfectly fine eyes at this point. The 2 who went off to college will be back Friday so I will have to reintroduce them to their siblings. I hope that goes smoothly. I haven't brought mother in to see the babies in a few days. I need to get her to like these guys so she's not so lonely. Baby ducks are visiting my elementary school today.

Oddly, the duck with the damaged eye has healed. All seem to have perfectly fine eyes at this point. The 2 who went off to college will be back Friday so I will have to reintroduce them to their siblings. I hope that goes smoothly. I haven't brought mother in to see the babies in a few days. I need to get her to like these guys so she's not so lonely. Baby ducks are visiting my elementary school today.
She'll not see them as her babies but hopefully she'll accept them as part of her flock. Just do it slowly, and so happy to hear it's eyes are fine now. great news.

Back
Top Bottom