One bite the other

SNJChickieGal07

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2017
South New Jersey
my EE pecked at my red and bite a part of her comb off abs now my red is bleeding! What do I do?!

Attachments

• D6E9DB58-0E8D-40A8-AED6-739E79B6C7F6.jpeg
    D6E9DB58-0E8D-40A8-AED6-739E79B6C7F6.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 8
Keep an eye on it. Chickens will kill each other because they like the taste of blood. That said, that usually only happens with bored or overcrowded chickens. I've personally never had a problem with it, but my grandfather swears by adding a bucket of grass clippings to the pen when it starts happening. It's supposed to be bad if you use clippings from a gas-powered mower, but an amish lawnmower or a pair of scissors should be fine.

But unless you see it happening more than once, don't worry about it. Maybe spray some spray-on bandage or blue-kote on it.

Hey,

It probably was caused due to the life of pecking order. If I were you, I personally would be extra careful, but take a cotton ball/swab and dab a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the comb.
Once dry, I would dab some Bacitracin (possibly Neosporin but I use Bacitracin) on the hen's comb... Keep her separated for the night or longer to let a scab develop and protect the wound. (Even if a scab doesn't grow, as long as the blood stops).
If she gets lonely or tries to escape, replace her back with her flock and let it be. If she gets pecked at more, separate the culprit until the injured red hen heals. Then replace the mean one back with the flock. Pecking order is a big equation in chicken math. One that can't be controlled, sadly.

If the pain from the comb doesn't affect your hen's daily routine- she will be fine.

I really hope this information helps you. Good luck, God bless. Have a nice evening now.

-Angry Hen

Hey,

It probably was caused due to the life of pecking order. If I were you, I personally would be extra careful, but take a cotton ball/swab and dab a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the comb.
Once dry, I would dab some Bacitracin (possibly Neosporin but I use Bacitracin) on the hen's comb... Keep her separated for the night or longer to let a scab develop and protect the wound. (Even if a scab doesn't grow, as long as the blood stops).
If she gets lonely or tries to escape, replace her back with her flock and let it be. If she gets pecked at more, separate the culprit until the injured red hen heals. Then replace the mean one back with the flock. Pecking order is a big equation in chicken math. One that can't be controlled, sadly.

If the pain from the comb doesn't affect your hen's daily routine- she will be fine.

I really hope this information helps you. Good luck, God bless. Have a nice evening now.

-Angry Hen
Thank you! I went out there to check on it and it has already stopped bleeding. I dabbed with peroxide and polysporin. The EE that pecked her was up high on the roost. So it definitely has to be pecking order related.

I don’t have anyway to separate them as of right now.

Thank you! I went out there to check on it and it has already stopped bleeding. I dabbed with peroxide and polysporin. The EE that pecked her was up high on the roost. So it definitely has to be pecking order related.

I don’t have anyway to separate them as of right now.

Good job! That is good to hear. I am glad that is had stopped bleeding. Now I'd suggest just keeping an extra eye on her. Occasionally going in the coop to make sure no fresh blood. Hope it stays well. :thumbsup

-Angry Hen

Good job! That is good to hear. I am glad that is had stopped bleeding. Now I'd suggest just keeping an extra eye on her. Occasionally going in the coop to make sure no fresh blood. Hope it stays well. :thumbsup

-Angry Hen
I plan on checking on them more frequently for right now. I already spend a lot of time in the coop, but they definitely need some extra attention. Thanks for your advice!

I plan on checking on them more frequently for right now. I already spend a lot of time in the coop, but they definitely need some extra attention. Thanks for your advice!

That is a good plan. I'm sure she'll be healed in no time.
No problem, I'm pleased to help. Please keep me filled in!

Have a nice evening. :)

-Angry Hen

That is a good plan. I'm sure she'll be healed in no time.
No problem, I'm pleased to help. Please keep me filled in!

Have a nice evening. :)

-Angry Hen
Checked on them this morning and all seems well. No fresh blood anywhere and they seem to be getting along fine now. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it! First time chicken mom here!

Checked on them this morning and all seems well. No fresh blood anywhere and they seem to be getting along fine now. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it! First time chicken mom here!

I am very happy for you that everything is well today! No problem at all, anytime I'm glad to help. :) Then welcome to the experience!! It sure is a wonderful thing to be a chicken Momma. :D

Back
Top Bottom