one dead another dying

malia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
GA
The chicks are all a bit over a week old. Everything going good until last night I come home and find a white silkie chick dead. All were drinking eating and running around. I check all of my chicks out and everyone else seems ok. This morning all is well and about 30min ago I find another one of my white silkies "crumpled" up on brooder floor. Chick is very lethargic can barely lift it's head tried to give it water through syringe but I am pretty sure it's not going to make it. Can't find any injuries or signs of what is going wrong. Temps are fine, they have water, and dumor chick feed. Only thing I changed was that I took the paper towels off of pine chips/shavings 2 days ago. Have to go to work in about 1 hr and can't stand the thought of more dead chicks when I get home. Why only the white silkies?

Definitely cover the shavings back up with paper towels. They're most likely eating it, that would be my guess. Sorry about your loss
sad.png

Got them from Ideal, great costomer service and great chicks. They have been active and healthy up until now. The second baby is now dead, poor thing. I replaced bedding with paper towels. If they were ingesting wood chips, wouldn't it be too late for the rest of them? I hope not...sigh...I really don't want to lose any more. I have 2 more white silkies, 5 black, 4 partridge, 4 grey, 2 ameracaunas, 2 mille fleur, and 3 rir (one I am working on spradle leg). Sorry you all, this is just really sad for me.

You might check to see where Ideal bought their chicks. MM problems apparently came from one breeder. If your chicks are wobbly, shaking their heads and unable to stand, you might look into AE. There are other posts on this site and a link to find a state vet.

We lost our entire flock that we received on March 3 to AE. MM will replace the birds, the medicine and the shipping. But we have to burn the shavings and bleach the brooder.

I deal with Ideal, and they keep their own breeders, so I doubt they order from MM.

Our 5 week old chicks came from Ideal. We lost 1 right after shipping, the rest are well.

I hope it's not anything serious.
fl.gif

Em

Thank you. I have absolutely no idea what happened/happening. I came home from work early (couldn't stand it) and all are still alive. They are eating, drinking, and pooping. But again, so were the other two. At least the two babies passed very quickly, so I will count my blessings.

Back
Top Bottom