One dozen duck eggs fits neatly

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
Into two ice cube trays. Two trays of egg-cubes fit neatly into a quart-sized freezer bag.

I just thought that was cool. And for anyone who, like me, is rich in duck eggs right now but worried about wintertime--freezing is a great choice. Just beat them lightly to combine white & orange, then pour into ice cube trays, freeze, and dump into quart-sized freezer bags.

I did a trial with one first, to make sure it still cooked up right, and it tasted great. Couldn't even tell the difference--WAY better than store-bought, that's for sure.

Wow! that's good to know. I've tried just freezing and the yolk thickens. I'm always overrun with eggs during the spring and summer then winter comes and I've even had to buy them.

Here is a trick I use when I freeze dumplings. I roll them in melted butter to prevent freezer burns and crystallization from water content. You can do the same with eggs in the tray, by simply spraying a little bit of oil in the the tray and then on top before putting the tray into the freezer. It also releases the frozen blocks better.

Last edited:
I posted on a gardening board before freezing them, and it's was there someone suggested beating the yolks into the whites first. I didn't really know why, but I did as I was told, and it worked. Now I know why!
smile.png
Thanks.

Of course, beating them also makes it easier to pour them into the trays. I like the oil idea--they are kind of a paint to get out of the trays, and I have been really careful to remove them from the trays within 12 hours of freezing to avoid freezer burn. The oil on top would mean if I forgot, I wouldn't end up with burned eggs. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom