One EE in a mixed flock?

lorelei71221

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
I'm planning to start a new flock of 4 pullets (~ 16 weeks). I want non-aggressive personalities and pretty eggs. I am looking at getting a Welsummer, Barnevelder, Speckled Sussex and an Easter Egger, but I am worried that the EE will get picked on if she is smaller than the others and has feathers sticking out in "weird" places. I've also heard that they prefer to hang out with other EEs. Would it be too tough on her to be the only EE in this flock?

welcome-byc.gif

I've never had a single EE, but I've had EE in with several other breeds and never had an issue. The beards and muffs don't seem to attract the other birds to peck like the tophats do. Your EE will likely be a touch lighter bodied than those other breeds, but not so much smaller as to cause a problem, like putting a tiny bantam cochin in with them might cause. EE are usually fairly assertive and don't let other birds push them around, in my experience.

I think the breeds you've selected will make a very pleasing and harmonious flock. A nice colorful egg basket is always a bonus, too
smile.png

I'm planning to start a new flock of 4 pullets (~ 16 weeks). I want non-aggressive personalities and pretty eggs. I am looking at getting a Welsummer, Barnevelder, Speckled Sussex and an Easter Egger, but I am worried that the EE will get picked on if she is smaller than the others and has feathers sticking out in "weird" places. I've also heard that they prefer to hang out with other EEs. Would it be too tough on her to be the only EE in this flock?
There can be a huge range in sizes for Easter Eggers, even when sourced from the same place. I have one girl that is about 4 pounds, and one that is at least 6 pounds. There is also a chance that your Easter Egger won't have muffs or a beard. My girls are clean faced.

I'm planning to start a new flock of 4 pullets (~ 16 weeks).  I want non-aggressive personalities and pretty eggs.  I am looking at getting a Welsummer, Barnevelder, Speckled Sussex and an Easter Egger, but I am worried that the EE will get picked on if she is smaller than the others and has feathers sticking out in "weird" places.  I've also heard that they prefer to hang out with other EEs.  Would it be too tough on her to be the only EE in this flock?

I have a mixed flock of three 25 week old pullets- a barred rock, silver laced Wyandotte and an EE. My EE holds her ground and is in the middle of the pecking order. But it sounds like within any breed there are big differences in personality. Hopefully if you can pick out your chickens, you can find a confident EE. I am just beginning my journey with chickens. My barred rock can peck the others as darkness sets in when they are roosting but there is no blood, bald spots and they all get along in the yard, coop and run. The EE and SLW tend to roost together and avoid the BR if she is been bitchy but I'm noticing continual shifting in behavior as they begin laying.

Though, I've never had a single EE in with other breeds, I know people who do without any issues. I think your future EE will be fine, especially if you raised them together.

I think any EE, even a single one, is a lovely addition to a flock. It's true that within each group of birds you get there will be individual personalities. So any one of the birds you are talking about could end up being low hen on the totem pole so it's most likely not just because one is an EE that it would get "picked on". Shoot, who knows? The EE may rule the roost. I really like my EEs - will never be without them in my flock! I've never ever seen any pulling at the muffs by any of the other chickens and I have Buff Brahmas, Light Brahmas, Marans, and a Buff Orpingon out there with them.

Relax and enjoy them.

I have always had one or two EEs, and they have been my most people friendly of the flock. And they've been reduced to a single EE, like at present. They happen to have characteristics of many other breeds, so they really aren't very conspicuous and don't present obvious targets except for their beards and muffs.

The thing that most triggers muff and beard plucking is food stuck in them. I feed fermented feed, and that happens to be the one and only drawback of the stuff. My EE has an enthusiastic appetite, and she sometimes wears much of her food on her face. I have a couple older hens who are compulsive "face cleaners" and they will sometimes get carried away and yank on the face feathers trying to get the food off my poor little Francie. But no worries. The feathers always grow right back.

I have 2 Buff Orpingtons (one cockerel one pullet), the rest are pullets, 2 Golden Sex Links, 1 Leghorn, 2 Cuckoo Cochins, and then 4 EE. My EE are only 4mos 3wks, and my others are 6mos. I had a hard time integrating them before doing a look but don't touch approach (I built a mini coop they stayed in for a few weeks). Now though, things are fine overall. My EE are FAST, and know how to move. I would still say they're "bottom of the pecking order" because they were introduced later, but they don't get picked on much at all. My cockerel has actually taken to protecting them now that they've been out there for a while. My EE are still smaller than the others, but they are learning to hold their own or get out of the way (during treat time, it's kind of funny, 1 EE will run up and nab a treat then take off to where I'm at and gobble it down, even though I'm offering so I make sure they get some). So for me, it's working with the things I've done. I also have an extra feeder and waterer in the run (someone suggested it, and it's helped), and a place where my EE can go to just "take a break" if they need to. The only ones of the bigs group I had some issues with (mostly some feather pulling and some pecks) were my 2 cochins who are bottom of the pecking order in the grouping, but that's because they were trying to keep their spot, they've chilled down now.

Back
Top Bottom