one eye swollen shut

mahabharat

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
virginia
howdy all! the last week or so, there's been an odd sort of "illness" going systematically through my flock (12 hens, 2 roos). a bird will get up in the am with one eye swollen shut and over a few days, it gradually gets better (with no intervention from me) and then another bird has it. only affects one eye, doesn't occur in other eye, comes and goes in a few days and that is the only symptom. ideas? i've reviewed the archives here, but not seen anything similar, but could just be missing it. thanks!

ralph

I have one Buff Orpington (in a mixed crowd of 23 hens) who has the same problem. But she's the only one so far, and hasn't returned to normal after three days.

I assumed she had been pecked in the eye by another hen, but maybe it's the same as what you mention.

How long has it been taking for your birds to recover?

Thank you for sharing!

Eye swelling can be a symptom of resiratory illness, but I don't think that would be your only symptom. Hold the bird up to your ear and listen to it breathe. Any wheezing? No runny nose? sneeze or cough? It's odd that you have had so many with the eye issue. I would just keep a watchful eye for now. Good luck and I hope that it is nothing!!

I've no experience of this but it sounds just like human conjunctivitis - pink eye. Easily spread, results in sticky closed eyes, no other symptoms. Maybe there's an avian equivalent?

most interesting thing is, it has stopped going through the flock now and only Big Boy (our really aggressive roo) has it. it resolved and then returned. he has some "light foamy" stuff in the corner of his eye and some puffiness, but no other symptoms. none. and it is not affecting his behavior at all. he acts completely normal (like a chicken) other than the fat foamy eye. going to try some eye ointment from feed store.

thanks for the help!

ralph
also in NoVa

Back
Top Bottom