One finally laid at 24 weeks! But which one is it from!? Lol

Hsoares

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
We have eggs! Teal/spearmint? The big question what color?!

Also, I have no idea which one laid it! I guess I'm going to have to watch and see who is! She lays it around 2to 4 each day, pretty late in the day. I thought they would lay early but we will see with the other 9, when they start laying :)

I just wanted to update everyone! I know some of yall have been following me since day one with my chicks!

Attachments

• 20220808_194318.jpg
    20220808_194318.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220808_201449.jpg
    20220808_201449.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220808_201710.jpg
    20220808_201710.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220809_133941.jpg
    20220809_133941.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 6
I have no idea which one laid it! I guess I'm going to have to watch and see who is!
You can look to see who has a nice red comb.

You can also pick up each one and check her back end to see if she's laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If they are all the same age, you might find several possibilities with those checks, but sometimes one starts laying enough earlier that it's easy to tell who she is, because no-one else is even close.

You can look to see who has a nice red comb.

You can also pick up each one and check her back end to see if she's laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If they are all the same age, you might find several possibilities with those checks, but sometimes one starts laying enough earlier that it's easy to tell who she is, because no-one else is even close.
Thank you so much! Oreo started laying but it's not super super red lol she layed her first one yeaterday! Which is darker olive.

Attachments

• 1660517027021.png
    1660517027021.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
It's quite amazing. Just now trying to see which egg goes to what chicken. Haha I have 10 hens, so it might be difficult at first lol
So what I like to do is is take the chickens and measure there pelvic bone width they should be about 2 or more fingers apart . They will be wider than the other chickens who aren’t laying . And also if that doesn’t work out a camera in there.

Now to try and figure this out. Lol or what I'm trying to feel for anyway. Lol
Grab one that's definitely not laying, and feel around near the vent: below and to either side.
You should find two bumps (bone ends) under the skin, so close together that if you put a finger on each one, your fingers are touching.

For a chicken that is not laying: a rooster or a half-grown chick is great to practice with, but otherwise just grab the pullet with the smallest, most pale comb, because she is most likely to not be laying.

Then grab one that might be laying, and feel for those same bumps. In a female that is laying, they will be further apart, and lower down. You can put several fingers between the tips of those bones on a laying hen. They start to move when a pullet gets close to laying, so you can sometimes tell who will lay "soon" by what you feel there.

I used to get all confused reading descriptions, but once I actually checked a few chickens, it became more obvious. I think "could an egg go through here?" as a way of remembering which traits go with laying or not-laying (Close bones, small vent means not-layer. Spread bones and large vent that looks stretchy are the signs of a layer.)

Grab one that's definitely not laying, and feel around near the vent: below and to either side.
You should find two bumps (bone ends) under the skin, so close together that if you put a finger on each one, your fingers are touching.

For a chicken that is not laying: a rooster or a half-grown chick is great to practice with, but otherwise just grab the pullet with the smallest, most pale comb, because she is most likely to not be laying.

Then grab one that might be laying, and feel for those same bumps. In a female that is laying, they will be further apart, and lower down. You can put several fingers between the tips of those bones on a laying hen. They start to move when a pullet gets close to laying, so you can sometimes tell who will lay "soon" by what you feel there.

I used to get all confused reading descriptions, but once I actually checked a few chickens, it became more obvious. I think "could an egg go through here?" as a way of remembering which traits go with laying or not-laying (Close bones, small vent means not-layer. Spread bones and large vent that looks stretchy are the signs of a layer.)
This helped explain it in an easier way! Thank you so much for that. Time to feel butts and bones for the afternoon to see what is what.

Back
Top Bottom