One hatched so far + homemade hatcher - PICS

sara

Title Needed Here
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
at the covered bridge, PA
one chicked hatched so far, at least 4 more have pipped. I didn't get my hatcher completed and up to temp until the chick had hatched. I put all the eggs and the chick into the hatcher. I can't get the humidity up above 63%, is this enough. The hatcher was very easy to make, I want to make some alteration later, but they started hatching so i had no time. They weren't due til Monday evening.
IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

I wanted to use a different light, and DH got me a dimmer switch, but I had no time and just shoved a christmas candle light in it. It's holding steady at 100 degrees. i could barely get my son up to bed. He wanted to stay up all night and watch them hatch!
jumpy.gif

I understand how your son feels. I have been up and down the last 2 nights watching eggs. THen when I would get to sleep my girls would come wake me up to tell me they could see one pipping.

After mine got to hatching the humidity went up to almost 90% so I think you are fine.

It's so exciting.

A suggestion for next time. Use the drawer liner that in slideproof stuff? I put it on top of the mesh wire and it was so easy to clean up afterwards. A roll of it is like $1 at the dollar stores. I read that on here and it made it so easy to clean up.

Good luck,

jackie

What a great job!!

We have difficulty keeping our humidity up since we live in a dry climate. If I have had the incubator open (letting the humidity out) then I either mist it with warm water or I wet a paper towel with hot water and put that inside.

We completely forgot that we had silkies and penedesencas due to hatch this week!! Walked by the incubator and heard peeping!!!! Riding the auto turner, LOL.

Bad bator mommy!

chel

We are up to 7 babies, with one more just about out, two more have pipped. 5 are doing nothing so far. I couldn't be more thrilled. Two of the chicks that did hatch are my own eggs, the rest are from HinkJC. I'm so thrilled this is my best hatch ever. Oh and there is one buff orp baby under my broody so I expect more chicks to hatch out there too. I'll have to take more pics later today.

Back
Top Bottom