One Healthy Looking RIR, 4 wks old, with Drooping Wing Today!!

malimom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Lafayette, California
My Coop
My Coop
We moved our 4 and 5 week old chicks out of their very large cardboard box in the garage into their very lovely and spacious coop late Saturday afternoon. All has been going smoothly and everyone seems to be healthy, happy and adapting well to the transition.
Today, after opening the door from the roosting area I left and allowed the chicks to come out at their leisure into their protected run. Upon my return I noticed that the RIR (4 weeks old) was running around with the flock but with one wing obviously drooping and positioned away from body. Movement is not hampered, she's eating and drinking well and staying with the flock. I read up as best as I could on "drooping wings" on this forum and most of the entries discussed the signs of coccidiosis. I may have over-reacted but cleaned the roosting area out from top to bottom to look for signs of bloody stools (no sign that I could tell) and put in new shavings. Double checked the feed to make sure it is dry (it's medicated chick feed) and cleaned and refilled the water jug out even though it did not appear to be dirty. We have been giving the chicks a probiotic in their water since day 1. Any comments would be greatly appreciated...I have no idea what may have happened! Any comments to help me know how to think about this would be greatly appreciated as I'm a first time chicken mom!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom