One hen bullying one of the others

DimondaleBergs

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Hi everyone.
I have a dilemma.
I have one of my black sex link hens that has started bullying one of the others. They are all about 18 weeks old and have grown together. The bullied hen in question is also one that I've posted about on another thread. She is a black sex-link also, but so far has a VERY small comb/wattles that have JUST a hint of light pink in them. She's very skittish. She's not small, she stands at least the same height as the other girls.
The bully will chase her relentlessly!
This is my first flock and I'm not sure what to do. I've read where some people separate the bully, while others the bullied...the bullied (as of fifteen minutes ago) hasn't received any bodily injuries...just psychological ones.
Any suggestions?

If it's just one hen doing the bullying, remove the bully and put her in a cage or dog crate for a week or so to let the flock re-establish the pecking order, then return her and see if that helped. You can also put peepers on the bully hen.

If everyone is picking on the one hen, then personally I'd sell her because the flock has made it pretty clear they don't want her around.

Let em iron it out. It is called a pecking order for a reason.

Sometimes I wonder why they have to be so mean about it.
gig.gif

Wish ya the best.

Let em iron it out. It is called a pecking order for a reason.

Sometimes I wonder why they have to be so mean about it.
gig.gif

Wish ya the best.
LOL Thanks...I never realized that they could be such bullies! lol I mean..their CHICKENS after all..lol..isn't that usually a derogatory name? lol

If it's just one hen doing the bullying, remove the bully and put her in a cage or dog crate for a week or so to let the flock re-establish the pecking order, then return her and see if that helped. You can also put peepers on the bully hen.

If everyone is picking on the one hen, then personally I'd sell her because the flock has made it pretty clear they don't want her around.

Thanks WalkingOnSunshine... I only see the others going after her after she runs from the bully. Guess I will give it more time, and then try the separation tactic.

Back
Top Bottom