1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hen started laying soft-shell eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlorena, Mar 16, 2011.

1. chickenlorena

chickenlorena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    Hello! I was hoping someone could tell me what's going on... The last 2 days, I've found egg yolk in the next boxes, and upon searching in the pine shavings I've found the remains of what seems soft shells. I have 3 hens and 2 of them are laying fine eggs. They all eat the same thing, organic layer feed, treats, and they have access to greens as they are free-range. I don't think it could be lack of calcium because the feed has plenty of it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Do the nesting boxes have like maybe hay or something like that? Because maybe they lay the eggs and it brakes and they ate the egg. Maybe you need more calcium... mabe some oyster shells. Worked for us.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many on here offer oyster shell or crushed up eggshells in addition to layer. It seems that some chickens need more calcium than others in order to lay a nice hard egg. It's worth a try. Of course you could also have a hen with a problem in her egg laying system, but unfortunately there's not much to be done about that.

Good luck!

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    definantly need oyster shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by