One hen with blood in stool

corinnep27

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 7, 2014
I really can't say details just yet, as I only noticed this once thus far. I have one hen who has nasty funky poop every night where she sleeps (at least a few weeks has been going on). This morning when I went out I noticed some bright red blood around the area and with her poop (it wasn't much either). I really can't say if it was "in" the poop, or an external issue? It was dark and rainy all day and I couldn't examine her well.

Does this ring a bell for anything? Her comb has been pale every since I got her, over 7 months ago, and has zero other issues.

i would just wait and see how she is and examine her tomorrow or after it stops raining. as long as she is walking and eating fine she should be ok.

With a hen that age it could be capillary worms causing the blood in the stool or coccidiosis . Sometimes enteritis can also cause blood in the stools. I would take a stool sample (early morning and fresh) into the vet to check for capillary worms and a large amount of cocci in it. Enteritis can be hard to diagnose. Valbazen 1 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days would treat capillary worms. Corid is used to treat cocci, and Amoxicillin and other antibiotics may be used to treat enteritis.

With a hen that age it could be capillary worms causing the blood in the stool or coccidiosis . Sometimes enteritis can also cause blood in the stools. I would take a stool sample (early morning and fresh) into the vet to check for capillary worms and a large amount of cocci in it. Enteritis can be hard to diagnose. Valbazen 1 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days would treat capillary worms. Corid is used to treat cocci, and Amoxicillin and other antibiotics may be used to treat enteritis.

x2

You really need to bring her inside and exam her immediately just in case she has been pecked causing some type of wound in or around vent. Look at her vent for a prolapse,look up info for vent gleet,check her for any discharge from vent.

For those that can't get Valbazen wormer, Safeguard wormer will also treat capillary worms, but it has to be given five days in a row. Dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days. One can get Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard horse paste at Tractor Supply. Dose is the same for either.

Eggcessive's suggestion to take a stool sample to a vet is a good one... they can also check for bacteria, though some are harder to test for.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom