One less dog in the neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has really been an interesting thread and with the further details provided by the opening post the situation, although still troubling b/c of its nature, is more clear now. In the early stages of this post it made it sound like the OP, in a moment of angst and anger "offed" the dog. Again, that was derived from the details given. Whereas, it sounds like "K" actually went through extensive discussions with the owner to avoid such a tragedy for both parties.

To the forum, in my mind b/c our opinions are not the same does not mean that one is judging. I was impressed with KHayward for saying that all opinions were OK with her and how she has kept her composure. I also would hope that we all demonstrate a bit of maturity in our posts and not become rude or aggressive in our responses.

And yes this was a very personal situation - "walk a mile in my shoes". I can't imagine comping upon my beautiful birds, torn apart or left dying b/c of an ignorant, irresponsible dog owner. I also am aware of the extreme difficulty in "teaching or conditioning" out a behavior in a repeat offender.

I live in New England, a town of 600 where the closest grocery store is 15 minutes away not an hour, (what we think of rural) and realize now that we are extremely fortunate to have the support systems to address predators, whether they be coyotes, bear or domestic dogs . Here it is not common for a land owner to be put in the position that KHayward was placed in.

This is very much a geographic difference, b/c by the sounds of it the local governments and county systems are either not held responsible, do not have the manpower or budgets to deal with stray or neglected animals.

I have learned quite a bit in this thread - about people, emotions and our country.

You are definetely right.Opinions are what make us all different.Now that i think about it who am i too judge.She did what she did but dont talk and advertise it.We live in a world where children dont know right from wrong.

Quote:
What does that have to with it? That is a job of the child's parents.

If you teach your child it is wrong to dispatch a dog killing their pets and livestock that is your business.

If I teach my child it is responsible animal husbandry to protect their pets and livestock by dispatching predators - not limited to dogs - that is my business.

You may think I am wrong and I many think you are wrong but those are subjective issues. It is your right to choose how you raise your own child. You don't get to decide what I teach and how I raise my child.

If the predator issue and the dispatching of dogs is creating this much distress with you maybe you shouldn't participate in these threads.

The debating will never cease and we don't promote it on the forum as it turns ugly and often incites and flames others.

I have a lab, a chow mix and a chihuahua and a St Bernard. All of them know to leave any animal alone that is being fed by us. Except Beauregard. He wants to play with them like they are squeeky toys. We did have several dogs that ran around here reeking havoc in our country neighborhood. They where killing chickens and dragging them off to their homes.

There are two of us on this street that have birds. The other person has livestock also. He lost alot of birds to those dogs. We would shoot them with BB guns and chase them off or throw rocks at them. They where usually gone before my husband would get the gun out and loaded.

The ownersf where informed to kep them chained or else. Well, apparently the other man decided to do the or else. The dogs are gone and the one across the street is chained up. Our dogs are the ony ones that run now. They wouldn't bother his birds because they have been trained. They will let the birds walk on them.

There is a stray that has been adopted by the people across the tracks but he ins't able to chase the chickens down. He is lame. So I don't worry too much about him. My St Bernard lets us know when a dog comes into our yard. I think he lets everybody know his bark is so loud.

Quote:
What does that have to with it? That is a job of the child's parents.

If you teach your child it is wrong to dispatch a dog killing their pets and livestock that is your business.

If I teach my child it is responsible animal husbandry to protect their pets and livestock by dispatching predators - not limited to dogs - that is my business.

You may think I am wrong and I many think you are wrong but those are subjective issues. It is your right to choose how you raise your own child. You don't get to decide what I teach and how I raise my child.

If the predator issue and the dispatching of dogs is creating this much distress with you maybe you shouldn't participate in these threads.

The debating will never cease and we don't promote it on the forum as it turns ugly and often incites and flames others.

Amen....I think miss prissy hit the nail on the head . If you don't teach kids the way of life....they might learn it from someone who knows nothing about life .
barnie.gif

God, the world is different in Texas.

You pull that stunt up here in NY and they put you in jail. Thats right. JAIL. they publically humiliate you first with a circus trial, protestors, peta speeches, school board meetings, community efforts to get counseling into the schools to help the children in the area who were exposed to it all, and then they put you in jail for a year and then you do a butt load of community service.

One of the farmers outside town here had a dog attacking his cattle, and the calves. So one day he went out when he saw it in the road coming to the cows and shot it right then and there (dirt road middle of no where). Well it was the wrong dog, and the 12 year old kid owner was in the bushes a long way off and saw it happen.

That was his story. If you can imagine.

Iam not proud of the north east by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't agree with what you did at all !!! I totally understand your frustration of losing your chickens, been there myself. However to just take a friendly lab in the woods and shoot it is just horrible. What you should have done is take it for a ride in your car to the local dog warden or shelter and tell them what the dog is capable of. How could you look into those brown eyes and shoot??? I'm sure glad I'm not your neighbor and that my kids don't live next to someone that could do such a thing.

Final warning and I close this thread -

I just want to make clear the purpose of this forum.

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defence and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.
smile.png

If you don't like the way a predator is handled then stay out of the predator and pests forum.​

Quote:
KHayward, I would take you as a neighbor any day. I think you showed a lot of restraint but the bottom line was your chickens were being killed. Why should dogs be allowed to do whatever they want? Because some people think they are cuter than chickens? If someone's dog (their pet) was killing my chickens (My Pets) I would have done the same thing in defense of my pets. At least you put the dog down quickly. How do people think the chickens feel as they are being torn apart for fun or being eaten alive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom