One less dog in the neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasVet

Songster
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Willis TX
Three of my neighbors have dogs that either get loose all the time or are allowed to roam. ALL of them have been over here, multiple times, killing chickens. ALL of the owners have been warned, repeatedly, that I'll shoot the dogs the next time they're caught near the chickens.

Last Thursday, the otherwise-super-friendly lab came over and killed 3 roosters. I was pretty upset with the owner, and told her she needed to find a way to keep the dog penned up, or else. She promised that they'd kennel her any time they weren't around.

On Sunday, just 3 days later, she's back over and killing chickens again. Three dead, 2 injured, some missing. And she was wet, so she'd been in the pond trying to get to the ducks.

I shot her with a Co2-powered BB gun at pointblank range, but she didn't even flinch. So I got the .22 and told her we were going hunting. She followed me to the back of my property, and I put her down.

I'm not as mad at the dog as I am at the stupid owner, who put me in the position of having to kill her daughter's pet.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

he.gif
duc.gif

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You did it nicely though, the dog was probably ready for the best time of her life... didn't even know what was coming. At least that will get your point accross.

Sad. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do the same thing. My neighbors have a lab puppy they let run. I keep hoping the dog will get hit in the road so I don't have to deal with killing it. So far my chickens haven't been out when the dog has been here. I fear it's only a matter of time though before we have an incident.

Shoot, shovel and shut up. Not much else you can do. Sad though.

I really hated to do it, because except for the chicken killing it was was a nice dog. Problem was it was a lab, less than 2 years old, left alone all the time, and bored. Chasing and killing chickens was just a game to her.

This same woman also has 17 cats, 4 horses, 3 rats, and about 15 goats. I think she's a hoarder. She brings animals home and then doesn't have the time or energy to do anything with them except put out food and water. Just leads to problems all the way around.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Irresponsible pet owners should be punished. She was given fair warning, and that's what happens. I'm sure if the dog were to have been hit by a car it would have been much worse. We don't have anyone around here that lets their dogs roam, luckily. People don't understand that working/sporting breeds need a job, and they can't just be lawn ornaments. Hopefully she explains to her daughter that these things happen when you don't take proper care of your pets. Oh and by the way, I am a huge dog lover. I show and breed chihuahuas (I know, not the same as a lab but I also have a mutt and a lab/golden mix) I still feel you did the right thing!

I own 2 labs and a spaniel. I whole heartedly agree that you did the right thing. I fully expect my neighbors to protect their livestock if mine were to get on to their property and get stupid. I hate to hear of a lab being owned and treated like this. Mine are trained bird dogs. This breed is smart enough to know the difference between game and livestock- if someone takes the time to teach them. My birds free range and my dogs don't touch them.

I am sorry for you, nobody likes having to kill an animal. However, you were not given much choice.
sad.png

I have the stupidest chocolate lab on earth and she has even been trained not to touch the chickens. I have had to put down animals (domestic and predatory) so I know how you feel. You gotta do what you gotta do.
hit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom