One less dog in the neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is awful when people can't control their animals. Did you tell your neighbor that you shot her, What did she say?

Stupid idiot owner that didnt care enough to keep it on her own property!
smack.gif
Personally, i would have caught it and brought it to a shelter..or called animal control..or something. but thats just me...you did what you felt you had to do at that time. good luck with the dogs! i hope they dont come back..for your chickens sake and theirs.

Quote:
No, I for one am NOT cool with this. There are other options. There are humane societies available, at least nearby, to almost all communities, and with an otherwise friendly and nice dog, why couldn't you confine her on your property until she could be picked up and the proper channels followed? It doesn't involve guns - sorry - but it is an advantage of civilized society. And I can't believe that someone is going to shoot a puppy for chasing chickens! Go to a little trouble, go through channels, keep your chickens in a protected environment. If it isn't some poor lab puppy, it's gonna be a raccoon or a fox or a coyote or a hawk... and they were here first! I've lived out in the country, I understand the culture, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Quote:
I think it differs on where you live. I live in the suburbs, obviously here this wouldn't be accepted behavior. We would call the pound and the owner would be fined. Now if I lived out in the country, and my livestock is part of my livelyhood, I would do anything necessary to protect my property, family, and animals. It's not like this was the first time this dog got out and did this. The owner had been warned, and the dog wasn't living much of a life anyway.

I personally would not have killed the dog, but you have to do what you have to do. What do you think is more important a dog who kills your chickens for fun or you losing your poor little babies that you love to a stupid dog multiple times.

I couldn't do it to a dog that would come up to m wagging it's tail. I would have taken it to a pound a long way away. Yes I would drive 50 or 60 miles to be rid of it. We keep our chickens confined so predators are usually not a problem. I hope the little girl was not real attached to it.

Quote:
No, I for one am NOT cool with this. There are other options. There are humane societies available, at least nearby, to almost all communities, and with an otherwise friendly and nice dog, why couldn't you confine her on your property until she could be picked up and the proper channels followed? It doesn't involve guns - sorry - but it is an advantage of civilized society. And I can't believe that someone is going to shoot a puppy for chasing chickens! Go to a little trouble, go through channels, keep your chickens in a protected environment. If it isn't some poor lab puppy, it's gonna be a raccoon or a fox or a coyote or a hawk... and they were here first! I've lived out in the country, I understand the culture, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Agreed--I would have called animal control and had them come get the puppy. It wasn't the puppys fault and it's a crying shame the puppy had to pay for the stupidity of the owner. No, I don't think it's right the puppy killed your chickens, but it was just doing what labs do--HUNT! To lure it back in the woods with the idea of, "hunting" and you yourself said it was friendly otherwise, and then killing it, just seems cruel!
sad.png

*editing to say that I am not against using guns. I believe they serve a very important purpose. I guess I'm more concerned that the poor thing was just doing what is instint for him--and to know he was a sweet thing otherwise is upsetting because he could have lived a happy life somewhere else, but unfortunately he wasn't given that option!
hmm.png

Last edited:
If that were happening to me, I would see it as a win/win. First I get to shoot the gun again, then I get to use the tractor to dig a hole. Man, I love to dig holes........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom