One Lonely Silkie

MsStrength

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Over the past two years we have had a very small flock. Due to numerous tragdies we are down to one lonely white year old silkie hen. Two hens killed by a hawk and one by our neighbors dog, my two favorite hens died of coccidiosis and one died of mareks. The last one which was showing signs of mareks, was actually killed by a hawk, I think because she was too unhealthy to escape. I know a chicken shouldn't be alone and needs the companionship of a flock, but I am scared to introduce another hen and risk killing her with mareks or coccidiosis. Rudy my silkie could be a carrier or not yet showing the signs of mareks. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC. You could get a few chickens who have been vaccinated for Mareks disease. The vaccine takes at least 2-3 weeks to provide immunity from the disease. Coccidiosis is in the ground, so you would just need to treat with Corid with a preventative dose, and use the stronger dosage if cocci becomes an active infection. Mareks will stay in your environment for many years, at least 7 and maybe more.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, I was reading about the vaccination and noticed that they needed to be vaccinated within 24 to 36 hours of hatching. Do you know anything about the success rate and hatcheries which vaccinate for Mareks?

Back
Top Bottom