MaybeMay

Chirping
Sep 18, 2021
I have 5 Australorp chicks 2 pullets and 3 cockerels all feathered out except 1 which is stopping me from having them out overnight. The temp is generally dropping to 5c overnight but they are outside during the day. I bring them inside at night because of the 1 that’s not feathered. Husband is over then being inside though anything I can do or will the chick be fine overnight with the others? I’m pretty sure he’s a cockerel.
A8602C10-EB42-4AC1-A392-136A7C680EDF.jpeg
photos to compare the runt with one of the other roos. 660722AA-1791-49FC-9DE5-9CD23E682E11.jpeg

I think it will be fine overnight with the others to snuggle up with. The bare patches on its shoulders may be from someone doing a bit of feather picking, but that can be from a bit of boredom when inside, so getting them outside full time should provide a lot more stimulation and that should hopefully stop (if that is what's happening).

I think it will be fine overnight with the others to snuggle up with. The bare patches on its shoulders may be from someone doing a bit of feather picking, but that can be from a bit of boredom when inside, so getting them outside full time should provide a lot more stimulation and that should hopefully stop (if that is what's happening).
He is definitely at the bottom of the flock. I’ve never noticed any feather picking though, and they are outside during the day only come inside for bed. but I guess could be possible…

If they are snuggling up at night it should be fine depending on how low your temps get. I have some feathered out chicks between 4-6 weeks out with a couple 2-3 week old chicks and they have been doing well even though they aren't completely feathered out because the others keep them warm. Its been getting down into the 50s here.

Back
Top Bottom