One of my chickens pecking the others and cutting them!

Ashley33

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
One of my 8 isa brown chickens is pecking nearly all of the others. At first I thought it was just playing around but most of the chickens have wounds or cuts on them. We have given our 7 month old chickens plenty of space to move and we feed them a high protein chicken feed. I don't really know what to do and would love some help/advice!

You might try separating this chicken for a few days. Otherwise, I would get rid of it. I had the same problem and it didn't stop after separating this chicken. I found a gaping hole on the back of one of my hens:( I ended up giving this pecking hen away to a friend who had 1 hen and 1 chick and she has not pecked at the hen or the chick. It has been 4 months now that my hen has been with her hens. All the best to you.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Just noticed now that it isn't letting any other chickens eat from the food so i had to set up a separate container for them. I think I'm just going to have to get rid of it :(

Thanks for your reply. Just noticed now that it isn't letting any other chickens eat from the food so i had to set up a separate container for them. I think I'm just going to have to get rid of it
sad.png
Try separating her first,see if she has an attitude adjustment after being removed from flock for a couple of days.

I agree, I had a feather plucker who picked on all the girls I had to separate her twice, about 2 weeks each time. Finally after the second time she figured it out, her plucking is a rare occurrence now. She would just go up behind them and pull out a feather and eat it. I thought it was due to a protein deficiency and added more protein to their food but it didn't make a difference. She is a silver laced wynott, who was the only survivor from a group of 5, they were all picked and bare when I got them as pullets so all I can figure is that they were extremely overcrowded. My SLW is not a very nice chicken, she is quite mean and bossy, but she does lay well. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, but do I sperate her at all times even when they sleep?
Thank you again for your help!:D

Thanks for the advice, but do I sperate her at all times even when they sleep?
Thank you again for your help!
big_smile.png
Yes,you can keep her in a cage inside coop,this way she can see but not touch or keep her separated in a cage in your home. Make sure she has food/water/grit in her cage. This process may have to be repeated as Crazyfeathers mentioned,until she gets the message that this behavior is not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom