one of my eggs pipped today - in the wrong place

Yes, stopped turning them at day 18.

The good news is - one has successfully hatched!!
celebrate.gif
I didn't have to help it at all, and it hatched out the small side. Just about all of my eggs have now pipped and only two have done so in the right place. So fingers crossed for the rest!
fl.gif

Quote:
Good luck for your little turkey!!
jumpy.gif

Mine all have the air sacks in the right place and still made no difference lol

Just updating - 9 out of the 12 eggs hatched -
celebrate.gif
only one got stuck and needed a little assistance - it zipped 2/3 of the way round and got stuck.

Most are looking great - but a few have very splayed legs, so have taped them together, and all bar one are now standing
thumbsup.gif
Not sure about the final one, don't think it will ever stand but will keep trying
fl.gif

Quote:
You asked earlier why they may have been pipping early..and in the wrong area. First, early usually means lower temps during incubation time. Second, sounds like they pipped in the right place, you have chicks!
thumbsup.gif
Think about it. If they pip externally in the first place, they are usually fine, that means they hit the air sac. If they had pipped internally, where there is no air sac, they would suffocate, or drown with what fluid is left in there.
Now, splayed legs. I use electrical tape. It works great! I cut the tape in half to make it small enough to go around the tiny legs. You place the legs in the right position, tape a piece around one leg once, then go to the other leg, keeping the distance that looks right to you for chicken legs...
smile.png
then, go around that one and come back to stick it on the other leg, or on the tape in the middle. You may need some help, they are squirmy little ones. I keep the tape on for a day or two. It's according to how splayed they looked. Works like a charm. We like this kind of tape, because it sticks well to itself and chick, but, it comes off pretty easy when you separate the tape from itself. The babies legs have never been sore. Hope all that made sense.

Back
Top Bottom