One of my ganders is getting into the habit of biting me

I might have to give the picking him up thing a go then, but it's difficult when you're carrying a bucket full of water in one hand; I've been punched in the nose by flapping goose wings before too and even though it's a myth they can break your arm, I can certainly believe they could break your nose if you got caught at the wrong angle, and I can imagine him flapping quite a lot if I picked him up when he was angry :lol:
Oh, I'm no superwoman; I'd never attempt to pick him up with one hand only! I put the bucket down before I scoop one hand under him from the front and the other around him so he can't flap his wings in my face. For some reason he never tries to bite my face. Anywhere else is fair game, but never my face - no matter how pumped he is or what season it is.

Fun fact: When I carry them like that, the goose paddles her feet like she's trying to swim the olympics. Gander's feet just dangle.

Haha yep, beep beep is more docile and lets me pick him up no problem usually, if i put my hands unser him and ask "are you ready?" He will usually sink o to my hands ready to be picked up....norberts feet go crazy though and he gets flappy...even when im putting him down he will scrabble about and try to jump out of my arms just as hes about to touch the ground

Ganders seem to be natural enemies with buckets, I don’t know what it is but they bring the worst out in them.

Shoving him will probably just encourage more attacking, especially when he gets more hormonal, instead try picking him up and carrying him away to a different spot. It really reminds them who’s in charge.

Ganders seem to be natural enemies with buckets, I don’t know what it is but they bring the worst out in them.

Shoving him will probably just encourage more attacking, especially when he gets more hormonal, instead try picking him up and carrying him away to a different spot. It really reminds them who’s in charge.
Ahhh ok, i just remember someone on here explaining how ganders will bump chests and flap a lot as a show of dominance and that you should do the same and not back down so thats what ive been trying

I kinda have the same probblem right now. It just happened to day. I have a blue bucket that I use to put pulled grass and clovers into. To take to there incloser. While I pick I let my 2 male geese to eat out of my bucket. Today when I put my hand in the bucket to put some cloves in. Marcus bit me. He has never aggressively bit me before. He has always been very protective of me. When I pushed him back and said no. He came back and took my glasses off! So I held his beak. After that he softly peeps to me with his head down. Then proceds to chew on my clothing. (The friendly kind)

My ganders are coming up to approximately 26 weeks old so im wondering if his change in behaviour is related to hormones and him growing up? How old is Marcus?

Mine get very excited for buckets, but I've never noticed any aggression related to them. They've certainly never bitten me with one. They are nosey though, and have to investigate whatever is in the bucket. My little Silkie rooster, Jamie, hates the blue feed bucket. it must be attacked and destroyed at all costs...lol He's much better now that he's in a pen and not a tractor about it, but he still has an annoying habit of rushing to "greet" the bucket just as I go to set it down. I always have to check to be sure he's not going to get smooshed.

My ganders are coming up to approximately 26 weeks old so im wondering if his change in behaviour is related to hormones and him growing up? How old is Marcus?
Mine are about 6 months. I got them back in May on the 10th or 12th. I have also hand raised both of my geese. (Marcus is the one in the front with darker beak) I think it both hormones and growing up.
20200925_144825.jpg

Mine get very excited for buckets, but I've never noticed any aggression related to them. They've certainly never bitten me with one. They are nosey though, and have to investigate whatever is in the bucket. My little Silkie rooster, Jamie, hates the blue feed bucket. it must be attacked and destroyed at all costs...lol He's much better now that he's in a pen and not a tractor about it, but he still has an annoying habit of rushing to "greet" the bucket just as I go to set it down. I always have to check to be sure he's not going to get smooshed.
Lol that is funny! Marcus has a thing for my flip flops. Every time he sees me with them he will start chewing them. Wagging is but. He will even try to crew them while I am walking! When I sit down with them. I will some time give him my flip flop. Marcus will get so excited that he will wag his butt, make happy noises then take that flip flop a little bit away from me and lay on it! Happy chewing on it while makeing happy noises! (This is the best pic I have of him doing that)
20200925_145343.jpg

So, full disclaimer: I only have ducks and I've never had geese. But what if you get a new bucket, in a different color and shape, and see how your gander feels about that?

Back
Top Bottom