One of my Isa Browns died :(

Miffny

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Australia
Hi I had 2 Isa Browns nearly 3 years I bought them both at the same time Henny & Penny .Henny has been to the vet with an egg stuck...she recovered & Penny had egg peritonitis the vet could not save her so she was euthanized yesterday & I am gutted I loved her so but worse is poor Henny is wandering about the yard clucking and very sad indeed looking for her friend . I will never get Isa's again as the vet (avian vet Anne Fowler ) and the normal vet have all told me these gorgeous chooks once they stop laying almost always get ill or just die & as I was not that informed before it was my stupid fault .

I am after a friend or 2 for dear Henny and not wanting a chook that will be at the vets all the time with egg problems to the extent my poor Isa's have had it's heart breaking .

I have been told Silkies or Sebrights are good chooks to buy but I am in Adelaide SA and have no idea where to get some feathered friends from can anyone please help & please some advice on sturdy longer living chooks please .

Thank you so much I will re-post this in the Australian thread . Yes I was very attached to Miss Penny she was my chicky I cuddled her all the time I ma very sad but it's part of life & she gave me almost 3 amazing years .I am grateful to have had her .

Best of luck to you in finding a companion or two for your other girl. I'm sure she's feeling the loss of her flock-mate too.

We are very fortunate when we have a special little animal in our lives. We might not get to keep them for long, but they do enrich our lives even for a short time.

I'm so sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
Like the previous poster said, let's hope you find a nice companion for your other lonely girl.

Best of luck to you in finding a companion or two for your other girl. I'm sure she's feeling the loss of her flock-mate too.

We are very fortunate when we have a special little animal in our lives. We might not get to keep them for long, but they do enrich our lives even for a short time.
Thank you so much & yes they do enrich and touch our lives even if for a short time
I'm so sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
Like the previous poster said, let's hope you find a nice companion for your other lonely girl.
Thank you so much .

So sorry for your loss. I think cochins are a hardy breed and docile as well. I wouldn't recommend silkies only because they go "broody" (want to hatch eggs) often and it can be hard to break them. They are also not a very robust breed. I do think Black Australorps have a very good reputation. The high production sex links etc. tend to put out a lot of eggs the first two years then drop off a lot- they also tend to have female problems .

So sorry for your loss. I think cochins are a hardy breed and docile as well. I wouldn't recommend silkies only because they go "broody" (want to hatch eggs) often and it can be hard to break them. They are also not a very robust breed. I do think Black Australorps have a very good reputation. The high production sex links etc. tend to put out a lot of eggs the first two years then drop off a lot- they also tend to have female problems .
Thank you so much I miss Penny terribly .The new Welsummers are eating a bit from my hand but sooo flighty . I had not heard of CochinsI will look into it. Yes its awful the hybrids get so many female problems poor loves it was never a prerequisite to get a chook that laid a zillion eggs totally my fault I should've looked into the breeds a lot better .

Back
Top Bottom