1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

One of two companion ducks was killed. The other duck is stressed and quacking a lot for the other.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by commett56, Mar 28, 2017.

1. commett56

commett56 Hatching

Mar 28, 2017
    One of two companion ducks was killed. The other duck is stressed and quacking a lot for the other. My question is we have chickens that have been raised with them, but they never slept in same houses. Will one duck be okay in a chicken house since they have been socialized together in free range?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

If the remaining duck is a drake I wouldn't put him in with chicken hens this time of year drakes are so hormonal they will try and mate anything even a chicken and that would be a death sentence.

if a female I would try it while you can observe to see how they treat her. Chickens can be brutal too.

i am so sorry for your loss, I suggest you find your duck 2-3 more friends so if something like this happened again and God forbid it does but then at least you wouldn't have a lonely duck sad for the loss of one of it's buds.
    @commett56

3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chirping

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Agreed [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. commett56

commett56 Hatching

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you so much for your response Lydia. I have never known what sex either one of them is, but one layed eggs. The duck slept alone with a stuffed duck I made last night and started yelping for the patner as soon as it was out this morning. I put the duck in the chicken area fensed as I do not want anymore horrible events. The duck seems alright with the chickens at the moment and there is a rooster so I will keep my alert hat on. Have any advice about telling the difference in sex in general. I have the common big white duck. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  5. commett56

commett56 Hatching

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you AshleyMarie!

6. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chirping

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

You're welcome! All I did was agree with Miss Lydia as usual. She's awesome:)

7. KatiPc

KatiPc In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    The male ducks have drake feathers, on the tail you'll see several feathers that curl up toward the back.

1 person likes this.

8. commett56

commett56 Hatching

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you KtiPc I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by