One of two companion ducks was killed. The other duck is stressed and quacking a lot for the other.

commett56

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
One of two companion ducks was killed. The other duck is stressed and quacking a lot for the other. My question is we have chickens that have been raised with them, but they never slept in same houses. Will one duck be okay in a chicken house since they have been socialized together in free range?

One of two companion ducks was killed. The other duck is stressed and quacking a lot for the other. My question is we have chickens that have been raised with them, but they never slept in same houses. Will one duck be okay in a chicken house since they have been socialized together in free range?
If the remaining duck is a drake I wouldn't put him in with chicken hens this time of year drakes are so hormonal they will try and mate anything even a chicken and that would be a death sentence.

if a female I would try it while you can observe to see how they treat her. Chickens can be brutal too.

i am so sorry for your loss, I suggest you find your duck 2-3 more friends so if something like this happened again and God forbid it does but then at least you wouldn't have a lonely duck sad for the loss of one of it's buds.
@commett56

If the remaining duck is a drake I wouldn't put him in with chicken hens this time of year drakes are so hormonal  they will try and mate anything even a chicken and that would be a death sentence.

if a female I would try it while you can observe to see how they treat her.  Chickens can be brutal too.

i am so sorry for your loss, I suggest you find your duck 2-3 more friends so if something like this happened again and God forbid it does but then at least you wouldn't have a lonely duck sad for the loss of one of it's buds.
@commett56

Agreed
1f44d.png

Thank you so much for your response Lydia. I have never known what sex either one of them is, but one layed eggs. The duck slept alone with a stuffed duck I made last night and started yelping for the patner as soon as it was out this morning. I put the duck in the chicken area fensed as I do not want anymore horrible events. The duck seems alright with the chickens at the moment and there is a rooster so I will keep my alert hat on. Have any advice about telling the difference in sex in general. I have the common big white duck. Thanks again.

The male ducks have drake feathers, on the tail you'll see several feathers that curl up toward the back.

Back
Top Bottom