One Problem Left!

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Over the past few months I have been building a new chicken coop in the freezing cold Canadian weather to keep me busy. I have everything done and I just put the roof on today. It is corrugated PVC attached to the rafters and the rafters have a sheet of plywood on the underside of them to give the inside a completely sealed look.

So the problem came today when I installed the PVC roofing. The coop is 4x8 and so is the PVC sheett. That means that on the two ends (4 foot sides) the water will run through the corrugations and drip onto the plywood wall edge at the top. Eventually it will swell and pull away from the studs and then the water will run right down the interior wall and rot my floor out
sad.png

How can I aim the water that runs off the roof away from the edge of the plywood wall?

I can tommorrow. The problem is that the corrugated PVC is already installed so I cannot put anything underneath it that would stick out and redirect the flow of water....

there are little aluminum edges that are used for roofing where it touches the sides.. it is in an L shape.. see if you can slip it under your roof and over the plywood for protection.. we got ours at home depot..

next problem
hmm.png

The snow is getting into the ends of the corrugated PVC and is sitting on the plywood underneath. When it warms up it will all melt and run down my interior walls. Suggestions????

Sounds like you might have to unscrew the PVC, slide it down a couple of inches on each side to give you some eves, and figure out an idea for the top of the roof gable...like maybe another layer of PVC cut into say an 8" strip and placed an inch or so over the roof line (use some kind of shim to bring it up) so that you can get ventelation too.

Quote:
You are going to have to pull it and put flashing under each end to provide minimum 1" overhang. That should be on top of roofing felt in case of sweating. Then caulk it to prevent water from slobbering back under it's edge to rot the wood beneath. Then replace your corrugated roofing. Even so, being corrugated, wind could blow rain back under the raised parts of the corrugated part so flashing should be 10" -12" or better to cut down chances of water damage.
wink.png

(I hate to break it to you so late in the game, but there is this thing called a measuring tape............
lol.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
I hate to say it but it sounds like you may need to rethink some installation issues here.

First, PVC roofing is generally not supposed to be installed over plywood because it is poorly adapted to withstanding heat build-up... it is really meant to be exposed underneath. If it is opaque (not translucent or clear) pvc, and/or a non-south-facing slope, you *may* be ok on this, but keep an eye on it over the years for premature deterioration.

Second, you should have foam or rigid "wavy" filler strips filling those corrugations. If you did not use those filler strips, your screws will not hold the roofing panels on tight enough. The filler strips (plus some caulking if needed) will prevent water from getting under the roofing.

If you did not use filler strips, I would HIGHLY suggest removing the roofing and reinstalling it correctly (reviewing the rest of the directions to make sure everything ELSE is done according to instructions, too).

If you did use filler strips, but even with caulking some water is still (for some reason that I am unable to imagine) getting under the roofing, get some L- or J-flashing -- steel or aluminum is ok -- and apply it to cover the uphill edge of the roofing, "capping off" the edges of the corrugations. If snow also gets up under the low edge of the roof (again, I can't imagine how this could happen with correct installation) just remove those bottom screws and put in some flashing between the roofing and the plywood as a drip edge.

I think though that if you get the stuff installed right you will find the problem goes away.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom