One pullet being singled out - give it time or pull her out?

Oceanseve

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Guthrie, OK
One exsisting hen in coop - added 9 - 5 week olds two weeks ago - decided to add 2 more night before last. They came from the same brooder as the previous 9, but apparently they have forgotten them already. They are picking on both of them, but one is so terrified she won't come off the waterer but for a few seconds to try and get food. I also removed the likely roo from the group and added another pullet today, who apparently they recognize cause they are ignoring her. WWYD? Pull the lonely pullet out and get rid of her or with time will they eventually accept her?

Last edited:
Hi Oceanseve! Can you put a barrier between the two that are getting picked on so that the 9 can see them but not get to them? It might be easier to separate the two together so the one that's really frightened isn't so lonely.

Separating next to each other. Always the first option.

You can try to separate the last two and put a couple of the non-aggressive chicks with them for a few days, then try to reintroduce them all.

Another ploy is to see if you have one or two instigators and separate them for a few days, then reintroduce them. This changes the pecking order.

When you do mix them, make sure there are two separated feeders and waterers. Otherwise the more aggressive may keep the newcomers from eating or drinking.

If you have room and patience, I would try to integrate them.

Good luck!

I think I found the culprit, after I took her out the other came out of hiding and was actually willing to wander a bit. She wasn't the only one picking on her, but it seems to have helped. Thanks for the help!

I agree with the other posts. I had two hens that were aggressive towards the pullets. One more so than the other. I took them out and put them in jail for a week. When I put them back in with the flock one was pretty good but one was still rather aggressive. I started spraying her with the hose when I saw her attacking a pullet. She was so intent on hurting the pullet that she was taken by surprise when the water hit her. I did this a few times. She finally calmed down pretty much. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Back
Top Bottom