One Week old Chicks with Bumble Feet!?

Brandon6195#

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
HELP!
Today when I was cleaning the brooder I noticed that 3 of my chickens had black 'callus' looking spots on the bottoms of their feet. As seen in the picture, one even has A tiny spot on the tip of her fingernail.. The chickens are acting normal, not getting picked on and do not show any signs of pain or stress from these dots.
Is it possible for chicks that are only 1 week old to get bumble feet? Or are these just calluses that will pass as they grow?
I am new too chickens and honestly am not sure what to do. Currently I am keeping an eye on the birds and have left them in the brooder with the other chicks.
I have seen some forums that suggest soaking in epson salt and then lathering in honey? While others suggest getting a antibacterial spray from a feed store or even giving the birds antibiotics!
Has anybody had this same issue? Or does anybody have any suggestions about what step I should take next?
Thank you so much ! & Good Luck to you and your flocks =)
-Brandon
*Here Are some pictures of the chicks (1 week old bantams)

image2 (2).JPG image3 (1).JPG image1.jpeg

that is just poo that has dried and cemented onto their feet.

In comfortably warm water, soak their feet and GENTLY pick off the spots. If you are not super gentle, their skin will peel off. Just keep soaking in warm water until the poo softens enough to come off gently.

After they are clean, dry them off, make sure they go back into a clean brooder.

Clean the brooder more often so that it doesn't happen again.

As they get bigger it helps to increase the brooder size...since it then stays cleaner longer.

I used your advice and had great success! No more poo - I can see what you mean now by 'cemented' on their feet.
Also, I have switched to cleaning out the brooder bedding daily! Much more sanitary.
Thank you so much for the help !
-Brandon

I used your advice and had great success! No more poo - I can see what you mean now by 'cemented' on their feet.
Also, I have switched to cleaning out the brooder bedding daily! Much more sanitary.
Thank you so much for the help !
-Brandon
no problem!

they sure can poo up a storm. luckily they are super cute. ;)

Back
Top Bottom