One year old rooster has a fully formed hard lump in neck. Please help and tell me what I can do.

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
Hello everyone!

My name is Tanya and I have a 1 year + rooster called Brownie. Last week while I was giving him a bath, I felt a lump on his throat right below him wattles. After repeated checking I confirmed that it was not in fact his crop. Since, I check his crop regularly I am familiar with it's location.

Please let me know what can I do to help him. Is surgery required or is it even safe? Is the lump a tumor or something else? I will be attaching pics at the end for your reference of his X-rays and lump.
This lump is very hard and round and as told by @Saaniya seems to be fully formed.

A bit about Brownie and his behavior, health etc.

Brownie is a happy rooster who roams around the house full day and loves sleeping on my lap. He crows in the morning and on full volume that too! His poop looks normal and healthy and he does cecal poop daily around 3 times a day. He also loves sunbathing though these days its raining here a lot and enjoys taking artificial dust baths on his blanket. I keep his bedding neat and clean and they are washed thoroughly to avoid any problems for him.

I used to have a hen before called Tooki. Unfortunately, she got sick (we suspected Mareks and she had a similar lump) and passed away earlier this year in March. Brownie and her were kept in front of each other but separated in different cages. However, he could have still caught something.

Diet and Supplements:
He eats Maize and Millet mix as his main food. I roughly crush the maize for him to avoid choking. I also give him Proviboost vitamins daily. Brownie is very fond of eating fruits (though since it's very cold we have stopped giving him fruits) often pecks and eats (and destroys lol) the leaves and soil of our house plants. That is his main source of Grit as well. He has a very bad habit of eating his own poop which has stopped in the past few days thankfully!

Medication and treatment till now:
He has been put on medication as suggested by @Saaniya ever since I discovered his lump. I am giving him a Herbal medicine called Ciprocolen for 10 days. Dose is .25 ml mixed in 10 ml of water. I then give him 1 to 2 ml of this mix directly in his beak through a dropper.

Along with this I am also giving him 3 or 4 Tulsi leaves daily.

I have gotten an X-Ray done of his lump and will be going to get a blood test of him soon. Please see the pics below for reference:

20191206_150503.jpg
20191208_130217.jpg
20191208_122854.jpg
20191206_150522.jpg

Last edited:
Ciprocolin is not an herbal remedy, but a strong antibiotic including cirprofloxacin. Sorry that you chicken has this lump. With Mareks being in your environment, it is possible that it is a tumor. How does it feel—soft, firm, hard, or like a water balloon? Does it empty or stay full all of the time? It is good that you have distinguished this from his crop. I cannot add anything, other than if it was very soft, it might be a leaking air sac under the skin. Others may have more suggestions.

Ciprocolin is not an herbal remedy, but a strong antibiotic including cirprofloxacin. Sorry that you chicken has this lump. With Mareks being in your environment, it is possible that it is a tumor. How does it feel—soft, firm, hard, or like a water balloon? Does it empty or stay full all of the time? It is good that you have distinguished this from his crop. I cannot add anything, other than if it was very soft, it might be a leaking air sac under the skin. Others may have more suggestions.
His lump is very hard and it never goes away. It doesn't empty or anything but is present in his neck all the time.
Also, apologies but it seems like I misspelled the medicine. It's called Growel Ciprocolen. I've attached a pic.
And yes I am located in India.
IMG-20191113-WA0008.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom