Ongoing Mycoplasma treatment

JenAndBetsy

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2017
Dear lovely new chicken friends!

I work at a facility where a silver sebright had flu and weight loss symptoms around 5 months ago, after 3 days of baytril and a week in my warm house, she seemed ok and returned to her group.
A month later, she got sick again and returned to my house and had another course of baytril. After a further month (Still in my house) her eye blew up and non avian-vet diagnosed MG and ordered more baytril. Since two doses hadn't worked yet I asked for alternative treatment and was offered dexamathasone 3 days and fucithalmic eye drops. She felt much better but swelling didn't fully decrease. Returned to vet after further 4 weeks and was given Ceporex 3 days and Maxitrol eye drop (dexamethasone). Same results. Vet said at the time air sacs sounded clear despite popping sound being heard loudly. I am now feeling her vibrate a little when breathing and assume she is now getting congested air sacs and the eye remains very swollen and irritated, some smll amount of yellow crusty mucous can be found from her left nostril each morning.

I have the following suitable meds onsite:
Baytril, Enrofloxacin, Tiamulin, Dexamethasone, Meloxicam (ORAL)
Penicillin, Lycomycin (INJECTABLES)
F10 - (Suitable for inhalation therapy or will clog up the congested airsacs??)

I dont want to wreck to poor bird with continuous treatment and wonder what dose and time frame I should be using to knock this out as clearly regular doses are not enough.

I will keep the chicken as a pet in my house to prevent spreading infection, she is a super lovely girl and I'd love to make her healthy again.

Thanks for any advice.

Jen and Betsy

:welcome

I'm sorry you've got a girl that is struggling.

Here is the Merk's Manual on MG.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

Penicillin is not the antibiotic of choice, nor Baytril. Tylosin is.

Be forewarned. While isolation of the bird in the house is important, you will have to be sure not to track the infection from her to your other birds with your shoes or clothing either.

Good luck with her. Hopefully she'll improve soon.
Lofmc

Back
Top Bottom