Online Farmers Market

Good Idea, but one hitch. USDA is federal. So it pretty much applies to everyone selling meat. Here is the catch to that. I have a pig and you want pork. I sell you the whole pig as a baby and I raise it for you. I take it to the processing plant or process it myself and they call you when it is ready. Or I take my meat to a USDA processing facility and pay a premium for processing and the consumer takes the hit in the wallet. Local co-ops are the way to go and they could be set up on here just like FreeCycle is set up all around the world!

Chris

still I think what every one is getting at is even a place to list arrangements like your selling some one a baby pig and raising and butchering it for them, would be a great way for fokes to find someone who does such things locally. Or a place to list things and services to swap. A listing would read possibly something like this

Piglet and butcher package - $- and the location available

or

wanted to swap Eggs for Honey - and the location available

Or at least that is what I am gathering from what everyone is saying.

Quote:
I am with you on that! We need that sort of place and the makers of BYC seem to be the best at setting up this type of board! None of the other boards that I visit can compare with BYC.
thumbsup.gif

I think its illegal to sell meat to a store if I want to sell or trade for that matter meat I grow with some one I know whos to stop me? I think the FDA is there to protect peole from MASS producers.... like our current peanut butter snaffu!!!! but I will eat what I want and the FDA cant stop me!!!! Big bro government has stuck him nose in my business and in my pocket to many times!!!!

with that said I cant SELL salmon I harvest. its against the law!! but I can trade for other stuff!!!!

I think its a great idea! I have "raised meaties" for...ummm. "friends" LOL I raise em for them, and have them butchered at a USDA facility...then when I get them here, I vacume pack, and freeze them untill my "friends" can come get them. Lobb....come late spring...I can "raise a few for you" Just PM me if you are interested. We MIGHT do a few pigs as well. I know we will do one for us, and one for my sister...but I might can throw another one in there for you...if interested. I am about an hr South of indy tho. Might be too long a drive for you.

PS, I can't raise giraffes!
lau.gif

Quote:
I have always wanted to go fishing in Alaska! They call the boys who linger by the docks over where they go out for crab fishing "discovery boys" since they are obsessed with deadliest catch, well I can say that if I lived closer I would be a "discovery girl" because my dream would be to spend a month or 2 Opelio crab fishing. I would love to trade for some fresh salmon I love to smoke it! but I think you are a bit far from me for a trade
sad.png

Quote:
I have always wanted to go fishing in Alaska! They call the boys who linger by the docks over where they go out for crab fishing "discovery boys" since they are obsessed with deadliest catch, well I can say that if I lived closer I would be a "discovery girl" because my dream would be to spend a month or 2 Opelio crab fishing. I would love to trade for some fresh salmon I love to smoke it! but I think you are a bit far from me for a trade
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom